Chapter Forty-Two

LISA

"Lalisa Manoban, where are you now? It's been three months already. You want me to take over your company or what?" Jisoo's voice booms through my phone as I take it a bit far away from my ear.

I laugh, hearing her irritating voice. Somehow, even though with anger in her, I still miss my best friend so much. "I miss you too, Jisoo." I exclaim as she becomes silent a few moments before clearing her throat. "Well, me too. Monkey, you should come back. We miss you so much."

I sigh heavily before looking at the girl in front of me as she smiles.

"I met someone here, and I think I will be staying here a week or two before I go back."

"Who?" She asks immediately. "Lisa, don't tell me you-"

"It's Yeri. My old best friend, Jisoo. Actually, I don't expect to meet her here, but I do. She is working in Busan, and I just want to spend more time catching up with my old buddy, you know." I reply.

Yeri is still cooking dinner for me as I look at her from the couch. She is a friend I need right now. She helps me a lot in terms of taking my mind off someone now. "Send me the work that I can help you from here. I will sign some of the stuff, and you need to be in my place for a while more."

After I left, I instantly called Jisoo to take over my place for me temporarily because there is no one that I could trust and has the potential to do the work besides my best friend, Jisoo.

She sighs and responds, "Alright, Lisa. Just a few more days, Please. You know there is someone who threatens me every day because of you."

"Tell Rosé, I will be back. Don't worry,"

"It's not my girlfriend, idiot. She knows where you are, so she won't be as worried as your wife, and you know it. Don't play dumb on me." Her voice becomes serious when mentioning Jennie.

Ah, Jennie.

How strange I feel, thinking about her.

"Is she okay?" Anyway, I can't help but still worried about her well-being. No matter how many days we are away from each other, Jennie is a priority, and I smile sadly when Jisoo says. "She is okay. She misses you so much."

"Did she tell you that?" I ask.

My question seems to irk her a bit before she replies. "She didn't tell me, but your wife is fat as a skeleton right now if you ask how much she eats every day. Rosé is about to tell her where you are sooner or later. Anyway, I won't blame her if she does so because Jennie looks so pathetic and tragic that you can't look away from her without saying 'that's a pity' when she is near." She laughs at the end even though without humor.

My heart burns, hearing how bad Jennie is doing. Apparently, it's not good. "H-how about Mino? Does she not have him by her side right now?"

"I don't know. Rosé told me that Mino is magically okay right now. I mean, he becomes better since you left. Jennie didn't say anything, but I know she's been skeptical about that too."

I scoff, "Don't talk like that Jisoo. She didn't even believe me when I said all those kinds of stuff, I told you. You are my best friend, and she is my wife. Apparently, her trust in me is so much less than you."

She sighs before answering. "I understand you because you are my best friend, and you will always be." I smile even though she can't see it.

Jisoo always is a good buddy I need in all my life.

"But, remember. I don't know much about Mino, and Jennie knows Mino for a long time. They had been dating, and as much as I hate to say this...he's been good to her. Since that day Jennie agreed to be his girlfriend, even if I know he couldn't replace you in her heart, he'd been a great guy and support Jennie in every situation. You have to understand that too, Lisa." As she explains, I tend to feel more empathetic toward Jennie.

Maybe, Jisoo is right, I might have always been blaming Jennie for not trusting me, but I haven't put myself in her situation once.

"Thanks, Chu. I will come back as soon as I can."

"Yeah. Just think about it, Lisa. Rosé and I will always be on your side. We want you and Jennie to work out. You know, the four of us."

Then, I see Yeri mouthing at me that the food is done as I answer her with a smile. "Jisoo, I need to go now. Can you t-tell Jennie that she needn't worry? Tell her that I am okay."

She answers excitedly. "Yeah. Come back soon, Monkey. Goodbye,"

"Bye."

Then, I put the phone on the table before walking to the diner table. "The food smells really good, Yeri. I love them so much."

She beams as she puts a shrimp on my plate. "Taste this. You will love it too." I smile as I remember her childish attitude when we were in high school. "Do you still love milk?" I ask playfully as she glares at me. "What's wrong with me liking milk? It tastes great, so I still love it and will love it for the rest of my life."

"Your mom said you are a child." I tease, but the next thing I see is her tears. "I-I am sorry, Yeri. What's wrong?" I sit beside her now, trying to calm her down.

She smiles despite her tears. "Nothing. It's just I miss her so much."

Since I came here, I only saw her. Unfortunately, I haven't thought about how her mom is. Stupid me. How can I forget that kind woman so easily?

Then, an idea pops into my mind. "Tell me where she is. We can visit her together."

She doesn't answer but looks at her plate plainly.

Don't tell me she-

"She passed away a few years ago. That's the reason I could not live in Seoul anymore. I miss her, and I can't live in a place I used to be with her without her being there with me." She bursts into tears uncontrollably as I hug her tightly. "I am sorry, Yeri. I am so sorry I brought it up."

She wipes her tears with the back of her hand before adding, "It's okay, Lisa. I am about to tell you about her too. I've just been avoiding the topic myself."

"I am sorry. But, I bet she would be in heaven right now looking at you and...us. You have been doing pretty good, see? You have a good job, and you have been living pretty well. She would be so proud of you, you know." After finishing, I feel a little weird saying us, but I brush it away because it's my homie we are talking here.

"Really?"

"Yeah. Who isn't proud of you? I mean, you grow up so well."

She smiles, looking at me before tightening her grip around my waist. "Thanks, Lisa. Since she is away, this is the first time I feel a bit...happy. Thank you very much."

After that, she pulls away before turning to me with a soft smile. "Let's eat now, okay? I am starving." She pats her stomach, and we burst into laughter.

I nod, and we eat in comfortable silence.