Chapter 19: Great News

A cold breeze blew over the lovely city of Los Angeles that startled the young woman who walked out of the warm coffee shop while sipping her cup of hot chocolate. Winter was getting over and she needn't have to make any excuse to drink chocolate as much as she wanted to. Nobody could question her because everyone was drinking the same thing.

She pulled the hood of her coat over her head and continued to walk on her path to work, thanking her Saints for the invention of socks, not knowing how she would survive without them. She warmed her hands against the rough outer surface of the tall paper glass. A chill spread down her spine and she stopped walking. She looked around, feeling as if someone was watching her. Something was going to happen and she could feel it. Her phone buzzed in the pocket of her coat right then. She tightened her grip on the paper cup as she picked up the call and placed it in front of her left ear. "Hey, Paige."

"Robin, how are you this morning?"

"Uh oh. What happened now?"

"Nothing!" She smacked her forehead softly. "Why would you think that something happened?"

"Because you wouldn't try to make small talk if you didn't have something shocking to tell me." Robin laughed as she continued walking down the street.

Paige groaned. "Sometimes I wish that you didn't know me so well."

"Well, you and Mila Anne are the only people who can tolerate my annoying self. And you're stuck with me even after the silly warning that I gave you. So what's up?" She asked, stealing another sip as she let Paige talk.

Paige gaped at the phone. "I do have something to tell you," she admitted. "Can you get to New York soon?"

Robin's eyebrows furrowed. She almost stopped walking but it was almost time to get home and get to work. March was nearing and with that, the closing end of the accounting year. That would only let her be busier than always. "New York? Why?"

"It's not something that I can tell you over the phone. But it is good news, so don't worry. It is great news, in fact. You shouldn't worry about it because it is great news."

"I mean...." If Paige was using the same word twice in the same sentence, something must have been important. And if she was making requests out of nowhere, Robin would have to acknowledge her."I can catch the next train out. But everything is alright, right?" She had to go over a few things that she had to finish but she had to be there for her friend.

Paige smiled. Robin would have unnecessary worries because of all the secrecy but she had to reveal the information face to face. "Everything is wonderful."

"You're smiling." She could hear it in her voice.

"I'm smiling." Paige assured her. "Oh, and also, pack your bags for about three months."

"Three months! Why?" She was expecting it to be a work for the weekend. But three months? She didn't know New York like she did L.A. and Budapest. What would she even do in a new city, knowing not where to go?

"I've already told big brother about this and the baby will be fine if you're not there. She probably can't wait to get rid of you."

"Too bad because she loves me." Robin scoffed. "But why should I stay in New York for three months?"

"Look, I cannot reveal this without revealing this." Paige said in a hurry because she had to be the Spoiler Police. "I'm not tricking you into staying with me. Don't worry about that."

"Kinda feels like that though." She shrugged.

"Okay, I am trying to get you to stay with me for a while. We need to catch up outside of work but believe me, whatever it is that I want to tell you will be worth it." Paige moved between L.A. and New York and had her home set in both the cities, which was something that she was trying to make Robin try with Budapest and L.A. It was a way of knowing that you would have a home in two places at the same time, even if the maintenance was high. But alas, that was what rental advertisements were for. "Can you just get yourself to New York? ASAP!"

Robin's eyes widened. "Woah, you're using acronyms. Alright alright! I'm on my way!"

"I've already told Melody to pack your bags. Just make sure that you get your hand baggage together. Don't leave anything behind that you might need in three months. I've sent you a ticket, all expenses paid for."

"Does this have anything to do with the second book? Because if they have found mistakes and plot holes in the first draft, tell them to keep it to themselves. It's the first draft for heaven's sake and it took a lot to show it to them in the first place and-"

"No, it's not about the book!" Paige laughed at how clueless Robin really was to the situation. It was better though because Paige couldn't wait to see the look on her face once she revealed her news. This was a shock that she had to see face-to-face and not hear the squealing through the phone. "Just....come to New York."

"Fine! Okay, I'll be there." Robin's mind went racing at a million km/hr as she wondered what could be so important that Paige was inviting her to stay in New York. For three months!

"And don't worry. It has nothing to do with the movie. I have great news to tell you."

"Which cannot be over the phone for some reason."

"I'm saving time in a way, sweetie. I can give you a hint though. Pack a few of your formals."

Robin was taken aback. She was even more confused then. "Why?"

"Step on it!"

In a different part of the wonderful city, another phone buzzed as tension filled through the body of the caller. She knew that she shouldn't bite her lower lip so much but she didn't know how to be discreet and secretive to her only friend. The person she was calling was eating his breakfast on the couch after a tiring workout that morning. He rested his head on the back of the couch and closed his eyes for a while to feel the pain receding from his body. When his phone rang, he picked it up from the table and answered it as enthusiastically as ever.

"Morning, Karen!"

"Hey, Ben. I have something to tell you." There was no point lingering over the information but she knew that she had to do so. It was what had been decided, and she wouldn't go back on it now. She had to be a good hider then.

"Great. What is it?"

"You need to come to New York."

"Alright, but why?" He was used to Karen telling him to go to a place but she always gave him a reason, and that was almost immediately. She was holding something back and he was curious as to what it could be.

"I have something to tell you."

"Wasn't that New York?"

"No, that wasn't New York." She chuckled. "Come to New York and I'll tell you in person."

"Okay. Um...." He looked at the time and pulled out his laptop to search for the quickest way to New York. "Everything is okay though, right?"

"Everything is perfect." Karen couldn't believe how less Ben actually knew about the situation but it was better that way. The news that she wanted to reveal was huge and she needed him to come over right away. She needed his support and comforting words. "And you will be here for three months. So prepare yourself for my constant naggings. I've sent you a ticket, so don't worry about that."

"Three? Okay. I'll tell everyone here about it," he said as his parents walked into the room as they talked over what they wanted to have for lunch. They kept it low so that Ben wasn't disturbed over the call and he smiled at them as they walked into the kitchen to continue their conversation.

Karen let out a breath of relief. "Thank you, sweetie."

"I don't have any reason to be worried," he said but it was more of a question for her.

She smiled. "Not at all. It is great news."

"And you cannot tell it over the phone?"

"I need to see your reaction, silly! And I need you to come over right away."

"I could have used a warning though," he said sarcastically.

"This is your warning. Get over here soon."