18. No Friends, Just Benefits.

I was never this nervous - I hadn't bothered with any make up and I sat cross legged on my bed, chewing on my nails. My left leg was in a shaking spasm and I felt like I was going to break out into a sweat. I clung onto my cell phone with my free arm, listening to Kelsey rant on. "I- I'm sure you guys will have a pleasant and understanding conversation! Jason seems so... Understanding. Come on, Char, he'll support you!" I made an odd noise, which sounded a bit like a squawk and interrupted Kelsey.

"Yeah right. I can't believe you told him... What if he gives me an ultimatum? What if... I can't hurt my mom! I'm so fucked, Kels." I mumbled, as my throat constricted.

I was about to tell her that I'd have to handle it on my own anyways, and not to worry since I knew she felt bad - but then I heard a faint honk and the sound of a car door locking. Oh, shit shit shit. "Kels! He's here and I'm so fucked! Okay! Bye!" I whispered frantically, clamping my thumb down on the end call button. I dashed out of my room, down the stairs, and stopped abruptly before the door.

My heart was beating wildly and my hands shook slightly. Confrontations were not my forte. Especially not with Jason. There was a knock on the door that made me jump and squeal out loud. I stared at the door, scared to open it. "Charlotte, I just heard you squeak. Open up." His voice was familiar and different at the same time. It was his voice, but he sounded so weird. So distant.

I reluctantly reached for the knob and turned it, holding a breath and bracing myself. Muttering a string of curse words under my breath, I inched open the door. Much to my fortune, before I could even open it another inch, it went flying open and I went falling head first into the ground.

"Shit!" I mumbled, jumping up to my feet, rubbing my head that was beginning to throb painfully. I was still recovering from the bookshelf incident - this was unbelievable. I let my hand drop to my side when my eyes met Jason's. His eyes were cold, but the minute they laid upon me, I noticed them soften. He stepped inside and shut the door behind him gently. I let out the breath I'd been holding as he slowly stepped forward to reach out for me.

I wanted him to pull me into his arms, I wanted to tell him how I felt, how I was certain that I love him? "Jason..." I mumbled, smiling softly as I held my hand out for him. His eyes flickered to my hand and then he grabbed me by my waist and dragged me into the kitchen. "What...?" I asked him, confused about him bringing me here. Was he hungry?

I was wishing repeatedly that he forgot about what Kelsey told him, but then he spoke and it pulled me out from my inner chants. "Charlotte, why didn't you tell me?" His voice was hoarse and I was taken by surprise at how rough he sounded. His eyes flashed painfully and my heart lurched at the possible internal battles he was facing. I averted my gaze and took particular interest in the fruit bowl across from me.

He sighed in frustration and traced a line under my chin, forcing us to lock gazes. "Look at me, Charlotte." I grit my teeth and continued to look over his shoulder, refusing to give into his saddened gaze. He grasped the sides of my waist and hoisted me up onto the counter. I yelped.

"Jason!" I squeaked, finding the courage to look at him. "I, uh..." And just like that, my confidence crumbled under his scrutinizing gaze. His long fingers gripped the hem of my shirt and taking a quick glance at me, he pulled it off. I frowned, what was he doing? He set my crumpled shirt beside me and his eyes began to roam along my top half.