17. No Friends, Just Benefits.

The next morning, I was allowed to go home - with the exception of a dozen scans to make sure I didn't suffer from a second concussion of any sort. The doctor had prescribed a heavier dose of anti inflammation drugs to stop the swelling in my shoulder, and then I was good to go.

My mother was in the front, signing discharge papers and Cole... He stood in front of me, every step that I took. His eyes looked frantic and worried whenever I moved my shoulder in the slightest wrong way.

"Cole, I'm fine." I muttered through a clenched jaw as I tried to maneuver myself around him. He seemed to be slowing me down. In the past five minutes, I had only moved a meter from the bed. It was unnerving to say the least. What really put me on edge was the nagging thought that always consumed me: Where was Jason?

I knew he was busy, and I didn't want to spazz out like I had before, but I couldn't help it. He always found a way to become the center of my thoughts. Was he still busy in that group project? When would be come home again? And most importantly, was he okay? These are some of the questions I texted him with everyday and much to my dismay, I'd never get a reply.

"Charlotte?" Cole asked softly, pulling me out of my reverie. My eyes met his in confusion and he held out his hand for me to take. Shakily, I placed it in his hand and he walked me to the front where my mom waited. "You know, I thought I'd catch you in a better predicament than the one last night." He began, rubbing the back of his neck with his free hand awkwardly, and a chuckle escaped his lips.

I barely found the humor in what he said but forced a smile nevertheless. "Yeah..." I murmured in response, trying to let loose of his grip. The walk from my room to the front counter was only a few minutes but it seemed longer with the way I was being held. Cole was slowing me down.

"Cole, you know I can walk just fine, right?" Cocking an eyebrow up, I turned my head slightly to look at him.

He smiled awkwardly and let go, falling into step with me. "Sorry, I just wouldn't want you to black out and fall over again. Then it would end up being my fault." Casting him another sideways glance, I held up my right hand and flipped him the finger, causing him to bubble up with laughter.

"Always the polite lady, Charlotte."

After we went though the discharge process, my Mom - quietly - drove us back home. Cole included. It was obvious that she was startled to see Cole in the first place, and now witness us on good terms? The last time my mom had seen Cole was at the climax of our relationship. When he came over to confess that he'd been cheating on me with Onyx Miller: twin sister of his best friend Owen.

Onyx and Owen were polar opposites - Onyx the ever charming, shy and enticing for a fifteen-year-old. Especially with her long blonde locks and thick lashes that framed those doe-eyed bright green orbs. I remember how she was the first one in seventh grade to brag about the beginning of her womanhood, and in ninth grade when she walked in on the first day with massive D cup breasts.

Onyx was perfect; perfect body and perfect grades. Where all the popular girls in stories lacked a perfect personality - Onyx had it all. She was extremely kind and great with people and - not so surprisingly - had been voted as Valedictorian but thankfully lost it to Kelsey. Owen was a totally different story. Where he shared the same hair and eyes as his sister, he stood at a towering 6"4 and had stunning washboard abs and an outgoing personality.