11. No Friends, Just Benefits

I shuffled around, and frowned in my sleep when I couldn't stretch properly. There was some sort of barrier stopping me. I cracked an eye open and watched as my blurred vision started to clear up and Jason's sleeping face came into view. I felt my face flush and I lifted up my hand to touch his cheek. Just before it came into contact with his face, his eyes snapped open and I shrieked in surprise.

"Oh my God, Jason!" I squealed, ducking under the covers and hiding. His laughter bellowed and echoed off the walls in my room.

"Charlotte, you're so gullible." he gasped between breaths. I pretended to scowl at him."I'm so tired," I whined, kicking my legs around and hitting him in the process.

He wrapped his arms around me and lay his chin on top of my head, "Go ahead, why don't you sleep? I'll just watch you."

I laughed, "Like that's not creepy at all." we laughed together, enjoying the blissful moment of peace and serenity.

After a few moments of silence, Jason let out a thoughtful sigh and I opened my eyes to look up at him. "Hey, what's wrong?"

He shook his head and smiled at me, "I just have to get back to school tomorrow, that's all."

My lips formed an 'o' shape, "Oh, already?" I asked trying to hide the sadness in my voice. That much time couldn't have passed in the span of a few weeks, right?

He nodded almost as sad as I was. "Wait, aren't you on summer break too? Like all the other universities?"

He grimaced, "Uh, no. I'm taking a summer school course." I nodded along with him. "But it starts tomorrow... the 8th."

I processed what he said, July 8th? Something nagged my mind to remember - "Wait. Tomorrows the 8th?!" I shrieked, jumping off the bed and causing Jason to flinch big time.

He stood up with wide eyes and nodded, "Yeah, why? Are you okay? Is something going on? What's happening tomorrow?" he started to bombard me with pointless questions.

I placed a hand on his arm and looked at him, "Tomorrow's my surprise party."

He blinked before his eyes went wider. "Tomorrow's your birthday."

"Oh my God." I smacked my forehead, feeling stupid. "I don't have a dress to wear, or shoes, or jewelry - I have nothing! I spent all my money on chocolate!" I yelled to Jason who was watching me with amusement in his eyes.

"How much chocolate did you buy?" he laughed.

I frowned, "That's not the point, Jason. The point here is that I'm going to show up to my own surprise party looking like I'm homeless!" I fell back down onto the bed dramatically.

"Charlotte?"

"What?" I mumbled feeling depressed.