Come Back To Me

Previously known as No Friends, Just Benefits. Previously was on sale on Kindle but I decided to bring it back here for you guys!

---

Out of the many, many words that I would choose to describe myself with, people-pleaser had to be the first on the list. If it were up to me, the last place I wanted to be on a weekend was here – at dinner, being a total and complete sixth-wheel with my best friends and their boyfriends. In a way, I felt like I was being babysat. It sucked. "Charlotte, what would you like?" Kelsey asked, grabbing my attention. I had spent the past twenty minutes staring at a fish tank, watching two fishes race. When I met her gaze, it was apparent she knew how irate I was deep down that I was even here in the first place.

I ignored the odd and mildly annoyed look Evan, Kelsey's boyfriend, gave me and forced a smile at her. "Were staying here? I thought we were gonna catch a movie or something..." I asked uncomfortably.

Kelsey gave me an apologetic look, "Sorry Charlie, but Evan said he wanted to buy dinner and this place is so fancy!" she gushed. "It's already been like, forty-five minutes and we've all only ordered drinks. Everyone ready for food?" she asked the table as she beckoned the waitress over.

She decided to start with me, and as my eyes scanned over the menu for the umpteenth time, I finally shrugged. "I'm really not that hungry yet, you can just skip me." I waved at her with my hands before I sank deeper into my chair.

"Hilary, what about you?" Kelsey glanced over at our other friend who was pink-cheeked and giggly from whatever kind of secret conversation her and her boyfriend, Sam, were having. Since they were seated directly across from me, I was long over feeling uncomfortable. In fact, I felt somewhat queasy. I pushed myself away from the oak table and stood up.

I tugged at my fuchsia sundress and grabbed my clutch. "You know what, Kelso? I think I'll just go take a walk. I'm not feeling too well..." I said honestly.

She all but grimaced at me in response, but I knew it came from a place of concern. "Where will you go?" she asked unsure.

I pursed my lips and looked through the windows behind her. "There's a bar right there, just across the street. Actually, I think a friend of mine is a bouncer there and I'm sure they're playing some good music, I'll just chill there. If I need anything, you guys are right here. Maybe you guys can come when ya'll are done with dinner!" I offered.

Hilary furrowed her brows, "Sounds good to me." I rolled my eyes, I could've told her that pigs were flying and she would've had the same response – her gaze was still fixed on Sam. The boys made sounds of agreement, but I figured they were just hungry and wanted me to leave already.

I smiled reassuringly in relief and turned to look at Kelsey over my shoulder. "Just a phone call away!" I yelled at her before I began to retreat from the table to make my exit across the street.

The night club was flashing with neon strobe lights as a bunch of people were lined up, waiting to enter. Thank goodness I knew Josh, the bouncer, otherwise I'd be one of the dozens of people waiting to get in. Friday nights, I swear.

"Hey, Josh!" I greeted as I sauntered towards him. Joshua had curly blonde hair and deep brown eyes, not to mention he was super cute, but I guess that was one of the requirements of being a bouncer. He was also the older brother of one of my good friends at school, which would explain how I got into this club without needing the fake ID at hand.

He looked up at me just as he shooed away a bunch of underage kids. "Hey, Charlie!" he grinned broadly and motioned for me to come up. "How's it going? Haven't seen you in a while." he commented thoughtfully.