16. No Friends, Just Benefits.

It was mid August, the days had just flown by and I hadn't even stopped and noticed it. That was probably because of Jason, I remembered saying that I'd only need him around for two weeks or so at most... But he had become a big part of my life. I still refused to analyze our relationship as anything more than friends.

We were friends, right? Did I want more? I tapped my nails across the marble table as I waited impatiently for my best friends. Late, as per usual. Kelsey, Evan, Sam and I had decided to go out for a brunch date and I couldn't have been happier. I felt my phone vibrate in my purse, so I pulled it out and my heart did a little somersault at my adorable message from Jason.

Have fun at your brunch today, babe. I really do miss you. Sighing happily I quickly typed back a response and put my phone away just in time for the trio to arrive. Kelsey wore a lovely pink sundress with an open back, Evan had his casual look on; Ralph Lauren polo and a pair of khakis. And Sam wore a blue button up shirt and dark jeans.

"You guys are so late." I feigned anger and glared at them.

Kelsey puckered her lips at me and did her z-snap across her body, "I think not. You're just always early. We're supposed to be here for 12:30 and it's 12:35. You texted me saying you were here at 11:50, loser."

My eyes widened and I felt a blush coming on... That could be true. I chose to ignore her either way and divert my attention to Sam who sat opposite me. "So why are you all dressed up?" I inquired, grinning cheekily.

He narrowed his eyes at me and took a sip of water from the fancy glass in front of him. "I happen to be going on a date after this." he stated matter-of-factly.

Laughing, I stopped abruptly and absorbed his words. I scowled at him and launched myself across the table so our faces were inches apart. "You can't leave me with those two lovesick fools! Please, Sam! Don't do this to me!" I sobbed hysterically, pretending to wipe tears off my face.

He just stared at me like I was an idiot for a few seconds before he broke out into a grin. "Sucks for you!" he mocked, pushing my shoulders back, causing me to fall back into my seat.

"Rude." I mumbled, crossing my arms.

Kelsey interrupted us by smacking down a well manicured hand on the table. "Let's order?"I raised an eyebrow at her oblivious form. "Kelso, its a brunch buffet. Come on." I groaned, rolling my eyes as I grabbed her hand and stood up, making our way towards the feast.

Once we had all piled generous amounts of food onto our plates, we walked back to our table. "So, guys, what drinks would you like?" Sam asked, straightening up after putting his plate down.

I paused to think for a second, "Orange juice please."

"Me too!" Kelsey and Evan said. Sitting down, I grabbed a forkful of kidney beans and spread it onto my hash brown before taking a big bite.

"Mmm." I moaned happily. It didn't last long though, because Sam returned with our drinks in hand and as soon as he set the huge glass down in front of me, I reached the condiment tray for four packets of sugar. Ripping each one apart, I spilled the grains into my juice. I snatched a spoon that was set out for the tea cups and mixed my drink.