4

"Hey, can you pass me my shirt? It's over there." I whispered loudly to Jason, who was struggling on his own to slip his t-shirt back on his body.

He made a muffled sound. "One second!" I had my back turned to him when I felt the softness of my shirt hit the back of my head and fall to the sand. I rolled my eyes at him and picked it up while I held my towel securely against my body. "You know you don't have to cover yourself that much – I already saw you in a bikini."

I could hear the smugness in his voice and I shook my head at him. "Whatever." I mumbled as I let the towel drop to the ground. I looked down at my body and I had to resist the urge to cry out in frustration. Every part of my body was covered in tiny grains of sand. "Fuck my life." I muttered as I began to slap my skin in hopes of the sand falling off.

"What are you doing?" Jason asked wearily from behind.

I sighed in exasperation. "The sand is literally stuck to my body like a second skin." I glowered. "It's not even budging!" I whined as I continued to dust off my body angrily.

"Let me help," he offered, and I heard his footsteps shuffle in the sand towards me. I turned around to face him. He looked at me and chuckled. "You look way more upset than you're meant to be."

I frowned deeper, "It's funny when you're not the one with sand stuck inside your coochie." His eyes widened and he doubled over in laughter, which pulled me out of my bad mood. I laughed softly along with him as he stepped closer to me.

His eyes scanned my body and he shook his head, still laughing. "Um," he began, "your legs! So much sand!" he erupted into a fit of more laughter and I reached out and shoved him.

"Shut up! This is serious." Immediately he sobered up and pushed my hand away, still smiling. "Help me now, please." I begged with desperation.

"Okay, okay. Here's what we're going to do." He spoke while he pulled his shorts up and sat down on the sand in front of me. He grabbed a hold of my left leg and pulled me towards him so I was standing directly in front of him. "Alright..." he murmured to himself. He brought his hands up and placed them on my lower legs, and slowly began to dust the sand off by applying some pressure with the palms of his hands.

"Oh." I muttered lamely. I hadn't really thought of doing that... "I hate sand." I grumbled, watching Jason take off the sand.

He stopped for a minute to look up at me and smirk, "You were the one who wanted to have sex on the beach." he stated.

I felt the blood rush to my face. "Hey, that doesn't apply. We didn't even have sex!" I retorted in embarrassment.

"Because I stopped you – you can't just throw it down on the first date, Charlotte. I'm not a monster." He feigned hurt as he looked at me with doe eyes.

I shrugged. "Whatever. All we did was make out and I still got covered in sand."

"Because you tripped and fell on your way out." He muttered under his breath but didn't dare look up at me.

Jason had managed to get a significant amount of sand off my legs and arms and had began to work on my hair; lightly dusting off tiny grains. "Your hair is incredibly soft." he murmured, running his fingers through the straight locks.

My cheeks tinted pink, "Thanks," I said appreciatively. He had worked a miracle, and my body was almost entirely sand free. "We should go find the others." I suggested, once I was fully clothed.

He had his towel rolled up neatly in his arms, as he lead us towards the rest of the group. Much to my luck, they had started packing up to leave.

It was a bit after sunrise, to my surprise, and I knew my mom would've had a fit if she knew I had camped out at the beach with Kelsey and three boys; regardless of the fact that one of them was my best bud. I hadn't expected to stay out this late as I remembered I was supposed to do my mom's laundry – she was not going to be happy when I got home.