8. No Friends, Just Benefits

I had to spend the rest of the day in the hospital, much to my dismay. My doctor said he needed to monitor me a bit more, just to make sure my concussion wasn't as bad as he thought it was. I wasn't allowed visitors at a certain time, and when I was it wasn't for very long – a half hour at most. Jason volunteered to stay at the hospital with me but he was beat to it by my mother, who said, "I'm her mother, I should have the right to be with my baby."

Don't get me wrong, I was more than happy that my mom was staying with me, from what I last recalled, she hadn't raised her hand to me in ages – it was an improvement. The last time she hit me was two months ago when I had talked back to her. I assume her guilt stopped her from ever trying to raise her hand at me. It was either that, or she actually cared about me. I was hoping it was the latter. Why else would she want to stay with me? Because she loved me, right?

"Honey?" my mom's voice interrupted my thoughts as she came into the room and sat down beside me. "How are you feeling?"

I pursed my lips and smiled, "I'm feeling stronger than I was before, definitely. So, any news on when I get to leave this place? I groaned, throwing a disgusted look over at the nasty pudding they brought in for dessert. "I'd give anything for McDonalds."

She smiled but her eyes looked distracted, like her thoughts were somewhere else. I couldn't help but wonder what she was thinking about. "Charlotte, you know I love you right?" I nodded and bit my lip, silently wondering where she was going with this conversation. "I'd never, ever, do anything to hurt you. I know we had a rough patch here and there in our relationship and I wasn't the best mother but after what happened to you a few days back... I'm not ready to lose my baby."

My heart skipped and then paused for a beat. Was my mom trying to clear the air? Her words went straight through my ears, I didn't hear any of it but when she said she was my baby, and she didn't want to lose me. I wasn't ready to cry, I didn't plan on crying anytime soon... but my mother sparked a few tears. I wiped haphazardly away at them with the back of my hands and forced a smile to my mom.

"I'm sorry, Mom." I laughed, blinking back more unnecessary tears. She smiled, and heaved a large sigh.

She reached out and patted my legs, "That's okay, sweet. Although, we have something we need to talk about. Jason. Who is he, and exactly how much does he know?" she asked, sounding much more than suspicious.

I cleared my throat and looked at her confusedly. "Jason is a friend of mine, and he knows nothing, Mom. Don't worry..." I licked my lips and looked at her assuring her that I was being truthful.

She nodded brusquely and averted her gaze. "Good, we don't need strangers being involved in our personal family issues."

Just as she spoke, the devil himself barged through the wooden door with a goofy grin plastered across his face. His plaid button down was messily tucked into his dark washed jeans. His black sneakers were decorated with splotches of mud and dirt and I couldn't even begin to think of where he'd been.

Before I could ask any questions or look at my mom to see her reaction, my eyes zoned in on what was crumpled up in Jason's hands – one humongous bag of McDonalds and his other hand was occupied by three large drinks. I felt my mouth water right then and there, inconspicuously, I felt my hand extend and reach out for Jason.