Chapter 02: "Counterattack"

I threw a pillow at his face, and ran out of the room before he struck back

"Better go say goodbye to Mom, before she comes up here complaining about it." And I turned my face right in time to see a pillow being thrown against the side of the door.

(...)

I got downstairs,almost stumbling, but luckily, Mom was right in front of me as I made the final step. I immediately called her, placing my arms around her before Jungkook had a chance to reach me.

"Why are you running around the house at this time of day?" Mom spoke in her nonchalant tone, which completely contradicted her displeased expression. "I'm still waiting for the day when you grow up enough to stop these little games," she complained, while protecting me with her arms.

"Relax, Mom. We're just playing around." I defended us, while watching my brother wave and return to hold the pillow – which I had thrown – in a more civilized way.

"Ah, of course you were." I turned to look at the living room door, where I saw father muttering wryly as he came towards us. I gently pulled my mom's arms away to run towards him, and soon felt him hug me tightly. "I am afraid that if you continue to play like that, you'll end up destroying the house in the process." He kissed my forehead after which he said "I missed you, my little pumpkin." He whispered lovingly in my ear. "However, if I see anything out of place when I get back, you two will be screwed." He stared at us in an attempt to look intimidating, but the four of us already knew he couldn't be taken seriously while he wore that ridiculous print outfit.

(...)

"Sweetie, let me do it already." I heard my mom complain behind the counter as I moved the frying pan away from her.

"No way, you guys are busy enough with the packing for the trip, let me make breakfast at least."

"Maybe they just don't want to eat your horrible food again you dummy master chef." I rolled my eyes as I saw Jungkook smile irritatingly, leaning over the kitchen counter.

"Look who's talking ... the huge black hole that insisted on eating the full meal of my extra-spicy tteokbokki that I prepared, and on top of that –" I was quick enough to catch him pinching the fried dumplings that I had just prepared, and I tapped his stupid hand slightly– "besides being a great hungry boy, you're also a huge liar, aren't you?"

"Oh, noona, you're no fun," he mumbled slyly while massaging his own hand. "And why can't I taste it a little? It smells so good." He placed his hand back onto the table, but as soon as he saw me lifting the wooden spoon towards him, he retracted his hand again.

"Maybe later I'll think about your request," I said as I took the third fried dumpling out of the pan. I almost smiled when I saw my little brother's hopeful look. " But see this as a punishment for speaking ill of my food."

"But noona!" He got up angrily – as always – again.

"Don't complain." I remembered how Gguk used this same argument to get me out of bed this morning. "And boy, you're not feeling cold are you?" I changed the subject so he wouldn't fight back, while staring at his back that was still completely bare at this time of morning. "Do something useful instead of staying here disturbing me, and put on a shirt please."

I watched him cover his chest with his hands in a useless way as he headed towards the living room, but before he could get up the stairs he came across our father.

"Wow, that smells good." Dad smiled as he wiped his hands with a flannel cloth and looked at Gguk with a confused expression. "What are you doing standing here, kiddo? Have you become a statue now? Put a shirt on and come back to help me put the luggage in the car."

"But he hasn't even had breakfast yet, dear." My Mom, who had until now been busy checking what I had been doing by the stove, intervened.

"Ah, if he hasn't missed his clothes so far, he won't miss food either, just for a few minutes."