Chapter 09: "Communication"

"I had been asking myself what had gone through my mind to have gotten involved with a person like that, but I had never thought that this meeting would have had such a big impact on my future

"I had been asking myself what had gone through my mind to have gotten involved with a person like that, but I had never thought that this meeting would have had such a big impact on my future."

(***)

I had missed two classes thanks to Taehyung; with the delay in having let me get close to help him - which I hadn't judged him for, even if I hadn't even been sure why I had gotten close exactly - as for the time it had taken to find something to properly clean his wounds with, and to have convinced him to put some medicine and bandages on.

Communication with him had practically been monosyllabic, barely having answered a "yes" or "no" to anything I had asked. However, I had very clearly felt, almost uncomfortably, the intense way he had been watching me. He had kept quiet most of the time, I hadn't been sure if it was for fear of having to try to start a conversation, because, at certain moments, I had noticed his glassy eyes watching my face, almost timidly, and even if I had been careful to approaching him, I had been practically repelled when I had touched his skin for more than a few seconds. It could have been embarrassment, or perhaps, a simple displeasure for a weird stranger to insist on invading his personal space. I wasn't able to say.

After a long time, between failed attempts at a decent conversation and some poorly made bandages, I had already been getting up to leave, and, had been about to say goodbye when I had heard a whisper coming out of his mouth, and I had definitely believed I had heard things when I had heard that "thank you" reach my ears. And I hadn't been able to help wondering how friendly that handsome boy could have been if others had been allowed to get close to him, and that, for some reason, had made him seem far more harmless than everyone had thought. I had smiled slightly at the thought and had returned the thanks, imagining that he would surely try to avoid a nosy and curious girl like me for a long time.

(...)

However, that hadn't exactly been what happened. Moreover, to my surprise, after that moment, there hadn't been a single day I hadn't met Taehyung around the school; still without exchanging a word, as if he hadn't dared answer my short greetings when we had run into each other in the hall. And this, over time, ended up happening so often and in such an unusual way that in some moments I had started to seriously wonder if the boy had started to follow me in any way.

(...)

"Oh my gosh, that dude is here again," Jimin had whispered beside me. We had been headed towards the school lockers, down the main corridor, when my friend had seen Taehyung leaning against the water cooler, which had been next to our lockers. "He barely came to school before, but now ..." Jimin had hugged and placed my arm on his while, dramatically, hiding a part of his forehead with his free hand. "What did you do to make that guy follow you like that, huh?"

"Hey..." Both me and Jimin had gotten scared as we had heard a hoarse voice approaching us as we had tried to pass straight from the water fountain to somewhere, pretending to ignore Taehyung. "I'm talking to you." At that moment I had felt a huge hand grab my arm, forcing us to stop. I looked up scared at the face above me, afraid of some threat, but he had just asked. "Aren't you going to greet me today?"

I had looked around, it had looked like the entire corridor had frozen in time, looking in our direction, Jimin had been just terrified by my side - with a hilarious expression, that if it had been in another situation, I would have laughed at him all day - with the mouth open, but unable to say a word.

I hadn't been able to say for sure if it had been because, the terrible and silent Taehyung had finally dared to speak publicly, using more than three words in the same sentence, or because that same fearsome boy seemed, for the first time in history, to be smiling at someone. It was probably both.

"I-I ..." I had looked around, expecting some help, but it had seemed like everyone had been too entertained to interfere. "... Good morning, Taehyung." After a long sigh, I had said it at last, but to everyone's surprise, he had smiled again.

"Well ..." he had released my arm, and proceeded to put his hands in the pockets of his pants . "Good morning to you too."

And as he had suddenly approached me, he had turned his back on us, heading towards the school exit. Moreover, as soon as he had, he had seemed to turn the corridor on again, and all the other students seemed to suddenly return to doing what they had been doing before, as if nothing had happened.

"Holy Moly...,--" Jimin had released me quickly to run his hands over his arms, as if he had felt chills- "What a weird dude for God's sake." He had wrapped his arms around me again, and I had just smiled at his exaggerated expression.

"Don't even think about becoming some kind of Mother Teresa to this guy, or to anyone else again." He had taken my chin gently, so that I had turned my face to him. "I don't want any gangs coming to knock on my door to ask me for your ID."

"Do you happen to know what an ID is for?" I had asked, already laughing at the chubby face he had been making.

"No, but ..." he had smiled to himself as he admitted it. "I just know that I don't think it's good for you to be too close to that guy." He had finished, a little more seriously.

"Don't worry, I won't." I had confirmed in a sly tone to get the look of irritation off of his face, and had put my head on his shoulder.

"You mustn't." He had insisted. "Come on, or we'll be late for geometry class." He had said, wanting to maintain his strict stance, but he had already been putting his arms affectionately around my waist again. And a few moments later we had been surrounded by a full hall of students of the school.

A/N: and yes, I finally cameback, well at least on christmas eve, I hope to have more time in the future :) see ya