Chapter 04: "Match"

Dad, the most clueless of us all, calmly walked away from the table, having had no idea how he had helped me in having something to provoke my little brother with for the rest of the weekend

Dad, the most clueless of us all, calmly walked away from the table, having had no idea how he had helped me in having something to provoke my little brother with for the rest of the weekend. "Come on."

And as soon as they walked out the door, I let out a long laugh that would, for sure, pay for all the work I had on my way home.

(...)

It was almost noon when we finally got to rest. Concisely, the morning was spent helping our parents with the luggage, because of course, it wouldn't be our Mom if she didn't decide to pack more bags with things that she said were extremely essential. It took practically the whole morning for Mom to be satisfied again, but it took a couple more hours for us to get them a new pair of tickets.

"Be extra careful with the house, please," I could hear mom whispering to Jeon as she hugged him. "I know it's only two days, but for me, it will be like forever," she finished off dramatically.

"I doubt if she'll think about the house while we're at that fancy resort," Dad confided in me quietly, and we laughed together at mom's dramatic moment. "And don't do anything stupid, both of you." He was serious again, and at that moment we heard the announcement that their train was about to leave. "You may be adults, but the house is still mine, and you will pay dearly for anything that happens to it," he warned.

"Yes, sir," Jungkook and I responded in unison.

"Be careful," Mom fretted, and soon Dad was back to hugging her, and after checking a few times that we were still watching them leave the departure hall, they waved goodbye.

(...)

"Shall we order some pizza for lunch?" I asked as soon as we had gotten home, as I watched Gguk get irritated as he tried to close the old door of Dad's car right.

"I thought–" I laughed as he turned and noticed that he'd ended up catching his clothes in the car door while closing it "you would cook for us." I just couldn't stop laughing as I saw him struggling to pull away the fabric stuck in that old thing. "Ah, this damn jacket!"

"Now I understand your aversion to clothes, they hate you!" I struggled to stop laughing, but went over to the car to help him get unstuck.

"Oh, and Mom said we were supposed to eat well, so no fast-food," Jungkook dictated as he tried to straighten his jacket again from the wrinkles the door had created.

"Pizza is not that bad, and not that fast to cook it either." I started smiling as I remembered how to convince him not to complain. "Or, would you like your sweet noona to prepare some food for you?" I made my voice soft as I ran towards him as he was already walking away from me. "Huh? Did you miss your noona that bad? Do you want your noona to repay you for the affection you gave her last night, huh?" Reaching up to him, I squeezed his cheeks – as I knew he hated – and made a ridiculous face at him. "Do you want me to feed you? Give you a bath? This noona is all yours now!" I laughed as I held him in a hug as he was struggling to escape.

"Oh my gosh!" He tried to push me aside, but I insisted on grabbing him. "Okay, do whatever you want! J-Just let go of me at once, you lunatic!" I finally let him free.

"But you love this lunatic sister of yours, don't you?" I smiled as I watched him rush into the house.

"Well, I do unfortunately," I could hear him grunt before heading to the kitchen.

(...)

In the afternoon, Jungkook and I decided that we would go to the neighborhood court to at least play a game of basketball that I ended up inciting this morning.

I won't admit it out loud, but those muscles really helped Gguk with the afternoon's game, because, besides him being considerably taller, faster, more agile and more irritating than me, seriously, I never was good enough at basketball, but it was something that, as an older sister, was good to do and to be admired by a younger brother, he obviously had more time to perfect himself at the game than I did though.

And if it weren't for his clear improvement at the game, I would have said it was because he left me very distracted with his excessive marking, which was more often than necessary.

And, regardless of that, in general, all his resourcefulness during the game had the great result of leaving me almost dead tired at the end of the first round.

At the end of the first game, I was already begging for a break, and Jungkook, a rascal as always, played dumb so that he could somehow avenge the shame I'd put him through that morning.

(...)

"Do you want some soda?" He was already holding out some cold bottles – which he had bought at the vending machine – right in front of my face.

"Sure," I said as I took one of the bottles from him. We sat for a few minutes at a bus stop – in front of the court we had used a few moments ago – to shelter ourselves from the sun and catch our breaths.

After looking at the place for a few moments, I couldn't help but sigh when remembering somethings that came to mind after a time that I insisted on forgetting.

"Are you thinking about him?" Jungkook nudged my arm with his cold bottle, startling me, as he noticed my thoughtful expression as I stared at the crowd of buildings next to us for a while.

"Maybe ..." I couldn't be completely honest with my little brother this time, ".... have you–" I risked clarifying or calming him, but Gguk cut me off before that.

"I hadn't and never will, and I don't even want to hear about that asshole again." He spoke dryly, and from the corner of my eye, I could see how his fist clenched at the slight mention of that guy. "And I hope you don't either, the only decent thing he has done so far, was to do you the favor of not showing up in this part of the city again after... that." The way Gguk looked at me made me realize how determined he was about it.

It reminded me that Jeon was no longer that overprotective little boy who cried every time he saw his big sister hurt, or that silly little brother who came running into my arms every time people made fun of him.

I saw that Jungkook was now a man who would be my greatest support, and that he would, undoubtedly, protect me from everything that could hurt me. And that thought made me very proud.

"Don't worry." I smiled with relief as I finished my thoughts. "I won't waste my time again."

"That's what I wanted to hear!" He smiled again as he stood up, offering his hand to help me up. "Ready for another match?" He asked defiantly.

"Hell yes!" I said, supporting myself with his hand as I got up. "Get ready, because this time, I'm going to win."