Part 11

"You can buy your wedding trousseau, Bhabhi. But, your ensemble for your Mehndi will be the gift from the staff, your sister-in-law and brother-in-law. Nani said she is gifting you for the Sangeet. You have every right to choose the dress," stated Daksh, much to Sunita's chagrin.

Asmita stopped from facepalming herself after hearing his attempts to convince her. She had hoped and expect something better than the stunt he had pulled.

"I would love to accept the gifts, Sir, but I don't want to raise fingers upon my intentions and dignity. Besides, I have always wanted to finance my wedding," replied Sunita, forgetting to omit the 'Sir,' in her answer, out of years of habit.

"If my sister-in-law had placed her demands, I would have accepted, but what is this? You call me 'Sir' and disobey my words at the same time? I am sure, no one would dare to question my orders and words, so you are taking the gifts," he retorted sternly, with the mask of anger slipping back, to which Asmita rolled her eyes.

"But..."

"Honestly, Bhabhi, we own DM Designs, they are free of cost to us. How would it look if you don't wear the designs which your husband and brother-in-law make? And the money which would have saved for your wedding, you can use that money to arrange a feast at some orphanage or old-age home during your wedding. That will erase questions raised on your dignity," explained Daksh, hoping that she would agree.

Daksh Malhotra was not the one to accept rejection pleasantly, and he did not have even an ounce of doubt that he would have quit persuading Sunita if she was not Asmita's friend and her acceptance meant nothing to Asmita's happiness.

Sunita contemplated momentarily and judged the situation at hand. She knew they were low financially and they could not afford the designs designed in her husband's office, and it would certainly not look good. She did not want to burden Asmita, who appeared perplexed and desperate for her to accept the offer, by relentlessly pursuing her wishes.

"Okay, I will accept them as gifts, but I will not accept any other gifts," she answered with a slight smile, looking at her to-be husband from the corner of her eyes, who seemed relieved by the decision.

Asmita had never fathomed that she would feel even an ounce of gratitude towards her ex-boss, but he had truly exceeded her expectations when he had successfully convinced Sunita and ease a few of her worries.

"Excellent! Let's get to our store and I will also ask Sheila to send the catalogues," announced Daksh, his eyes never leaving Asmita's pleasantly surprised face. Sunita and Amit nodded, and walked towards the car, with Amit announcing that he would drive that time.

"Happy?" he questioned, stepping towards Asmita, who found herself in the quandary of choosing to thank him or not, with anger, ego and self-respect stalling her from going ahead and thanking him.

"Does it matter?" she asked, wondering if he convinced Sunita out of guilt or to satiate his ego by putting her in the tough spot of gratitude.

"If it didn't, do you think I would have even tried to convince her, especially when I agree with her on some level?" he countered, taking another hesitant step towards her, allowing the lethal attraction towards her guide him and erase the distance between them.

"I don't know," she answered, breaking the heated embrace between their gazes, which was as passionate as ever but had a soothing undercurrent to it, and she wondered what had changed in him.

"Do you not know or do you choose to not know, Asmita? Or is it your anger blinding you to my guilt?" he demanded, his voice dropping by an octave, not wishing to sound threatening as he plead for innocence.

He would feel the pain of thousands of pins piercing through him when she showered her accusations upon him. Disbelief in his own actions, regret for letting his fury blind him, and anguish of not having her beside him every minute in the office along with the potent desire to claim her, made him forget every restraint and constraint.

"Will your guilt erase the terrible memories I have of the night or will it prevent the nightmares? You would not understand. Besides, why do you care about my forgiveness?" she asked, unable to wrap her head around the fact that the Daksh Malhotra was actually accepting that he was guilty for what he did.

Daksh sighed deeply in resignation as he took a step away from her.

"You say that I don't understand, and I say that you would not understand, Asmita. You are right. My guilt cannot change the past, it cannot erase the memories, nor can it prevent the nightmares, and trust me, I feel more guilty to know that. Tell me, what do I need to do to convince you of my intentions?"

"Asmita! Bhai! What are you doing?" questioned Amit, who came back to check upon them when they did not follow them to the car.

"Nothing, Amit. Come, let's go! Looks like it is already too late," he remarked in lower than usual voice, with his eyes averting towards nothingness, confusing his brother thoroughly. Amit instantly knew that something was off, but he did not want to pursue that missing link in front of the public and him, lost in thoughts, and distant honorary sister-in-law.

Asmita let her gaze linger upon the perfect picture of guilt that he had painted with his clenched jaw, desperate eyes, huffing breaths and stooped posture. She hated to admit that he was right.

She did not understand him or his intentions.

__________________________________________