Part 34 - Last

"May I ask why you delayed filing the complaint for eight years?" asked the inspector, fixing his scrutinizing gaze on Asmita, who shuffled in his seat with clear discomfort.

"He could finish my career, and I had too much at stake to make that visit to the police station. I did not know if they would ever take an action against him either," she said, training her distant eyes on the wall behind the officer.

The khaki-clad officer scribbled into his notepad and acknowledged her statement with a curt nod. "And what changed now?"

Asmita puffed, and a sardonic smile stretched on her lips. "I lost my career despite my silence. I had to start again from the scratch because he tarnished my employment record with his interference."

She nibbled on her lower lip, reminiscing the string of rejections she had faced because of the gaps and change of jobs in a short notice on her resume. "Years later, when I saw him fight with such vehemence for the wrong cause, I decided I could fight for my justice as well, without worrying about the stakes."

The inspector hummed, scratching the back of his head. He had heard the rumors of the billionaire's dalliances and his many escapades, but he needed further evidence. "Anyone who can attest to your statements?"

Asmita sniffled her sobs and nodded in affirmation. "Priyanka Ahuja. She was the Head of Human Resources in DM Designs when I worked there.

The fan whirred in distance and the pen scratched against the notepad. "We'll speak to her. We'll keep you updated about what happens to your complaint. And you wondered if we would ever take action against him. If there is truth to your allegations, he will get his punishment to the fullest extent of law."

"I hope you find the evidence you need," she said, picking her handbag and giving a weak smile to the inspector before she walked through the wooden doors of the police station.

She would have to relive every part of those horrifying nights, which continued to ravage her through nightmares. She could only hope she could muster enough strength to give what it takes to clinch the triumph.

___________________________________________________

"What the hell are you doing here?"

Daksh barged inside despite Vikas's protests and attempts to stop the man intruding into his home like a raging bull. Asmita jumped to her feet from the sofa when her eyes caught the sight of a furious Daksh Malhotra.

The blinding rage in his eyes made her heart jump with fright and her breath hitched in her throat. Sweat poured out of her temples and she hid her trembling hands behind her back.

"Why did you complain to me? Assault? Molestation? Seriously?" he asked, glaring down at her and the trivializing tone of his incited the fury buried beneath fear.

She let out a wry chuckle and a derisive glint gleamed in his eyes. "You don't realize the gravity of your actions, and yet you claim to be guilty. Makes sense for a narcissist like you!"

The condescension in her voice hit him with a whip. He stepped closer, to intimidate her by towering over her, and she compelled herself to stay rooted in her place. She gestured Vikas to not intervene by a shake of her head and call the police. Vikas took his cue and pulled his phone out of his pocket.

"I did not complete what I started that night. It is not assault if I did not do it! I could if I wanted to, but I stopped myself. You couldn't see that, could you?" he asked.

Her eyebrows arched for a moment before she burst out laughing. Daksh stepped away from her, with his lips parted in shock, and stood astounded by her actions.