nineteen

"Together, we are gonna put those pompous ass Practitioners in their place, reclaim our rightful place in the world, and make a little cash in the process. What do you think about that?"

Some of the vampires were on their feet, Clint's girlfriend cheering loudest of them all. Shari's angular face and starling ringlets looked like they'd been drawn by a street artist with coal and bronze paint.

"Down with the magicians! We want our freedom back!" Shari screamed.

Clint ran to her, sweeping her up in his arms and spinning her in a circle. Shari yelped and squirmed in his arms, her long fingernails digging into his back. With her face cradled in his neck, Clint whispered, "This is why I fucking love you. You get it."

Mandy bit on the edge of her thumb, trying to swallow the jealousy rising in her throat as she snuck another look at Faris.

Others rose to their feet. A pretty, French-Canadian vampire with auburn hair pumped her fist in the air. "Our coven should be as big as we want. Fuck these imposed limits. Why do magicians get to decide how big our numbers are?"

More cheers erupted from the room. Shouts and excitement bringing her to her feet. The energy of the room palpable. She was part of something bigger than herself. This was a fight worth fighting.

A dark-skinned vampire named Alonzo rose from his seat. "No more forced hunting of animals! No more blood bags." He ran a hand along his stubbled jaw. "We should be free to live like the immortals we are."

Clint pointed at Alzono, glee bursting in his hazel eyes. "Fuck, yes! No more hunting deer in the woods like animals. No more blood cocktails. My friends," Clint said with excitement. "This is our revolution."

Mandy scanned the crowd, Faris was wearing a smile that belonged in a museum. Clint gave Shari one last kiss, then set her back down. His clever eyes drifting from Faris to Mandy.

"Our newest member, my dear, sweet Amanda, should be by my side tonight. Don't you all think?"

The cheers died down and eleven sets of eyes trained on Mandy.

Mandy felt her throat constrict. She couldn't go with Clint to this meeting. She didn't know the first thing about the serum, or even what to say.

Clint took a few steps closer. A little hitch in his step. "I want the future of our coven present to witness this historic moment. I want your buy-in."

Mandy's concerned gaze landed on Faris, looking for guidance. Their eyes met for the briefest moment before Faris sat back down on his stool. More interested in the floor than her.

Clint inched forward. His lips drawn down in a frown. "You don't want to come with me?"

"No. That's not it." Mandy met Clint's eye for a heartbeat before her gaze slipped back to Faris. This was the time for him to speak up. To say something. Anything. "I do want to come."

"But?" Clint asked. Murder swimming his charming eyes.

Mandy couldn't help it. Her mouth fell open, but the words stuck in her throat. Clint made an exaggerated glance over his shoulder, his Cheshire smile widening.

"Ahh, now I see." Clint looked from Faris to Mandy, his expression manic. "You and the scientist have dinner plans. Is that it?"

"No, Clint," Faris said flatly. "You and I have already had this conversation."

"Sure, you've denied it. But...something in your tone leads me to believe that's not entirely true."

"Why on Earth would I lie?" Faris uncrossed his legs and leaned forward. "I put this organization first. Always."

Shari lifted her wine glass and drained the last of what was in her cup. "Come back over here, babe. Have a drink."

"Just a minute," Clint said with a mischievous grin. Clint took a step closer to Mandy, catching her hand in his iron grip and tugging her out of her chair. The vampire smelled like Shari, the sharp scent of cardamom and ginger dancing across her senses.

Clint lifted a finger to Mandy's cheek, drawing a line across her jaw. "Beautiful and strong. Dewy-eyed, but not quite innocent. This one's got some wear on her tread. It's actually quite charming. What's not to love, Faris?"

Clint's finger grazed Mandy's lower lip, and she sucked in a wavering breath as he traced the line of her mouth.

"Some of us have standards," Faris replied. When Mandy dared to look at him, she saw he was studying his fingernails. A portrait of disinterest.

Is that what he thought? That she wasn't up to his standards? Pretty and strong, but not smart. Not cultured. A broken girl from a broken town who made him feel a little dangerous.

His words were as good as a slap.

If Mandy hadn't made plans with Torren tonight, she would've taken Clint up on his offer just to feel powerful.

"Stop this nonsense, boy." Gianna rose from her seat. Arms folded over her thin chest. "The girl is accompanying me on the hunt tonight. Why don't you take Alonzo if you need muscle? Or Celine if you want a short skirt and no brains."

"Short skirts reveal my best assets," Celine quipped. "If Amanda is granny-sitting tonight, I'll go."

Clint shook his head, grin fading into a scowl. He sent his hand to the nape of Mandy's neck, fingers winding in the root of her hair. Mandy felt prickling pain collect at the base of her skull as Clint drew closer, lips moving against her ear.

"Give me a reason to hate you."

Thought left her mind as fear crowded in. Fear and the primal urge to defend herself. Instinct flooded her muscles, and Mandy bucked into Clint's grip, throwing him off balance long enough to push free.

"You don't need a reason to hate me," she panted. "We're on the same side."

The room went silent. Clint's fingers still curled around a clump of blonde hair. Faris was on his feet, hands perched on narrow hips. Gianna let out a disapproving grunt.

"That's all I wanted to hear." Clint dusted her hair from his hands, looking perfectly innocent. "That you understand what's at stake."