twenty-nine

"Just read that line," Jay ordered, shoving a business card in Torren's hand. "And she'll come. Trust me."

Torren stared down at the single line of text scrawled across the top of the card, wondering how this all worked and contemplating why Mazia couldn't just return his calls? With an uneasy glance at Jay, Torren relented.

"Diotima Magazia, I bind you to me."

For a tense moment, nothing happened.

Torren wondered if he got the inflection wrong like he had in the warding spell. So, he cleared his throat, ready to try again when a glowing ball of light emerged inside his cell. It hovered in the air, sending beams of light around the darkened room. Torren squinted against the brightness, but sure enough, Mazia appeared.

She looked like a dream come true. Exactly as he remembered. Pencil skirt hugging her hips. Silky blouse draped over narrow shoulders. Chestnut hair coiled in a high bun. Perfect lips parted.

"I can't believe you wait this long to teach him." Mazia lifted a threatening finger to Jay's chest. "Why not tell him how to call me sooner?"

Torren had been wondering the exact same thing not half a minute ago.

Jay lifted his hands in the air. "Take a breath, your highness. I didn't want the kid drowning in all your daemon wisdom. Besides, as you can see, we have bigger problems. The cops arrested your Seer on murder charges."

"Well, you are a memory charmer, no?" Mazia tipped her head to the side, flashing Jay the suggestion of a smile. "The darling of Bone and Soul if I'm not mistaken."

"Darling?" Jay scoffed. "That makes me sound all cute and cuddly. I prefer...Jay Kaegan, living legend, Wunderkind, jack-of-all-trades, master of hearts. I have a certain..." he paused, inspecting his nails, "well, you get the point."

"Then start charming memories, da? It should be zero problem for the Wunderkind, as you say." Mazia tapped Jay's cheek with her palm, then her honey brown gaze slid to Torren. "The High Seer and I have more than plenty to discuss while you work magic."

Jay took Mazia's hand in his, placing a barely-there kiss atop her knuckles. "You know, I wouldn't let just any daemon order me around."

Jealous heat flooded Torren's core. Maybe there was a reason to hate Jay, after all.

"From you, I will take that as compliment." Mazia slipped her willowy arm through Torren's, her touch sending a warm pulse down his spine. "Now, we must be leaving."

"I see what you did right there, Mazia. You're good. I'll give you that." Jay winked. Adding, "I'll see what I can do about the evidence and the arraignment. No promises, though. It's gonna be one hell of a night."

Mazia's hand curled around Torren's bicep, and Torren found he was suddenly less angry with Jay. Trust was something earned, and Jay was making an effort to gain what little trust Torren had to give. "I appreciate what you're doing for me, Jay. Thank you."

"You can pay me back by finding out what those bloodsuckers are up to tonight. Get me something useful. Pictures, notes, anything tangible so I can convince the Guild we got a real problem. Copy?"

Torren mustered as much confidence as he could. "Sure, yeah. I'll get it."

The scrape of metal on concrete sounded again. Torren tensed, listening as heavy footfalls came closer.

Adjusting his shoulders beneath his jacket and fastening the top button, Jay shook his head. "Looks like I'm going to have to start with this one." Pushing open the cell door, Jay took his leave with a cocky smile and a peace sign.