thirty-nine

"Jones?" Torren stood and half-ran, half-stumbled over the creaking planks.

"Glad to see you outta cuffs." Jones tossed her long braids over one shoulder.

Zach emerged from the shimmering magical drop, a broad grin lighting his features. "Teee!"

Torren couldn't contain his own smile as Zach wrapped him in a tight hug.

"Bro—just wow. And Mazia! Dang, I didn't even see you there!" Zach released Torren and swept Mazia up by the waist, lifting her off the dock with ease. "It's so freaking good to see you!"

"It is good to be seeing you, too. All of you."

Jay cleared his throat. "And to what do we owe the pleasure of this little visit, Jones? I'm sure you're eager to collect your next paycheck, but this is a bit extreme even for you."

"I'll take my over-time check if you've got it, but that's not why I dragged these two knuckleheads all the way here," Jones huffed. "I came for Torren."

Stomach dropping, Torren looked from Jones to Mazia. Wondering if Mandy had managed to find them.

Jones tapped her temple with a finger. "Can't hear you with that medallion on. You need to use your big boy voice."

With an encouraging nod, Mazia placed a hand on his shoulder and gave it a squeeze. Mandy's voice replayed in his mind.

Torren, help.

"Did you guys meet with Mandy?"

"You bet your ass we did," Austin shot back. "That girl is a hot mess, but I think I set her straight."

"What do you mean, set her straight?"

"I used that one line on her. You know, told her to make her own fucking ripples." When Torren didn't respond, Austin rolled his eyes, one hand settled on his narrow hip. "She's gonna get the evidence for you--duh. It should be easy for her since she's a fricken--"

"Good friend," Jones interjected. Her deep brown eyes wild. "Mandy's going to snag some dirt from the club because she's such a good friend. Right?"

Jones' hand was like a vice around Austin's neck. Zach was bobbing his head up and down like a string-less puppet. Torren didn't have to be intuitive to know something was up.

"You didn't accidentally set Mandy on fire, did you?"

A smile broke across Austin's face. "Nervous she was getting hot for one of us?"

Torren snuck a look at Mazia before turning to glare at Austin. She had wandered silently over to Jay, their heads bent in quiet conversation about--whatever.

"You didn't really tell Mandy to snoop around a vampire club to collect evidence by herself. Did you?" Austin raise an incredulous blonde eyebrow. "You did."

"Oh, he did," Zach added. "It was so freaking awkward. Oh my gawd, you would have died. But Mandy seems like a cool chick. I like her, even though she's...you know...different. In a totally normal way."

"Anyways," Jones cut in. "I wanted to tell you she is going to meet us at eleven p.m. outside Medea's Sin. I figured you'd want to be there."

Torren stared blankly at the group of magicians. How could Jones have allowed that? Mandy didn't have magic. Mandy didn't know what she was getting into.

"Why the hell would you tell her to go into a vampire club alone?"

Austin pushed his brows together. "I thought you'd be happy. You didn't seem to keen on going anyways."