nine

Torren knew he should have called Mandy more often this summer.

Since her father's death nearly six years ago--Mandy had slipped into a depression punctuated with partying and drinking past reason. It had got them into plenty of fights, but Torren couldn't walk away from their friendship.

Mandy would forever hold a special place in his life.

Torren patted the rusted-out hood of his old Civic. She may not look like much, but this car was more reliable than most of his family. It was one of the reasons he decided against taking a magical drop directly to the sorority house. Mandy would know something strange was up if she didn't hear his car rattling up the driveway.

If he closed his eyes, Torren could still hear her voice the day he had been accepted into the summer internship program. She had screamed louder than he had.

"You know I'll be gone all summer long, right? You gonna be okay?"

"Torn, don't worry about me, I'll be fine!" She said. "As long as I find a way to survive Babcia and mom's bickering while you're gone. Just—don't forget about me, okay?"

He hadn't.

Torren wondered if Mandy would react similarly if she knew he had become a Practitioner of the Magical Arts.

Hovering over the Favorites button on his phone, he pressed her name and held his breath.

"Torn? Hey! I've been waiting to hear from you! Get your too-smart butt over here, ASAP! I'm dying to hear about your summer. Oh, and by the way, it's 80's night at the house."

Before he knew it, Torren had arrived at Alpha Sigma Tau and a plume of blonde hair in a teased ponytail was bouncing up the drive. Mandy wore a giant pink bow and her lips had been lined in matching bubble-gum pink.

She looked ridiculous.

But he couldn't deny she looked ridiculously good in those black leather leggings.

"Torn!" Mandy screeched as she leaped into his arms, legs tucked up behind her. Torren buried his face in the hollow of her neck, her sweet smell familiar and comforting. It mingled with something sharp and minty.

Mouthwash. At least she cared enough to try and hide how much she'd been drinking.

"Why hello, Mr. Law Intership man! Don't you look dapper in that suit. Geeze, I feel kinda trashy right now." Mandy leaned back in his arms, their noses nearly touching. He tried to ignore the jolt of excitement that tore through his body. "Don't think just because you show up in a suit that all is forgiven. Why haven't you returned my calls or texts tonight?"

"Can we talk somewhere? Privately?" Torren asked, gently setting her back down.

"Sure, let's go up to my room. Just wait until you see it. I have a big surprise for you," Mandy exclaimed, grabbing his hand and pulling him down the sidewalk.

Inside the Sorority house, 80's dance hits blared while strobe lights pulsed. Mandy formed 'Alpha Sigma Tau' with her fingers at her sisters as they cut through the crowd.

"You wanna drink?" Mandy asked.

Torren studied the smile on her face, the slight glaze in her eyes. "I'll have whatever you've been drinking."

"Brianna," Mandy called over to the bar. "Can you get us two Tequila Sunrises?"

A perky brunette in leg warmers danced toward him with two red solo cups and planted a kiss on his cheek. "Torren, I'm so glad you're back! Mandy called me like every day this summer bitching about you being away."