thirty-one

Even with heightened vampiric senses and an infallible memory, Mandy still managed to forget about her presentation to the Alpha Sigma Tau Charities Board.

Which was supposed to start ten minutes ago.

Of course.

The entire ride over from Medea's Sin her phone had been vibrating like a malfunctioning sex toy--texts and calls coming from what felt like the entire sorority.

This isn't like you.

Morgan is super pissed.

Please tell me your dead, cuz I think that's the only excuse she'll accept.

I'm standing here with my dick in my hand, Mandy. 

The last one was from Rich Strum, the charity rep from Theta Chi. Ugh, why did emergencies always happen at the worst time? Mandy considered pretending to be sick—stomach flu, diarrhea, pink eye—but nobody would believe she'd let those things stop her from presenting this particular charity event.

It was her baby, her brain-child. This event was in memory of her father and dedicated to all the kids whose lives had been disrupted by the water crisis.

For the last three years, Alpha Sigma Tau had hosted a charity baseball game against the boys of Theta Chi, and all the proceeds went to supporting youth sports programs in the city of Flint.

Rich had grown up in Flint, too. Like her, he was just as passionate about doing his part to make the city a better place. His grandma had gotten really sick and passed away shortly after the water treatment plants were switched over, so he knew just how hard it was to lose a loved one to something so preventable.

Legionnaires' disease might have taken her dad's life, but it wouldn't take away the game he loved so much.

Helping organize charity events had become one of Mandy's ways of coping. When she first came to Eastern and told Torren she was rushing a Sorority, he had his doubts. Worrying it would encourage her "risky" behavior, as he put it. On the contrary, it gave her focus. Mandy started assisting her sisters with events, then eventually became head of the charity committee. Now, as Vice President, she had handed the reigns over to her sisters--save for this one event.

"You couldn't have changed out of workout clothes?" Morgan angry-whispered. "The alums are here."

Rich pulled at a string dangling from the brim of her frayed hat, a shit-eating grin plastered on his face. "Don't be like that, Morgan," Rich drawled. His muddy brown hair hidden beneath a similarly beaten-up baseball cap. "That's her old man's hat."

She could hear Rich's pulse kick up as his smile spread, a nervous flush pinking his cheeks. The delicious thrum of his blood prickling in her mouth. Mandy was suddenly very thankful for the three shots of tequila and a handful of blood mints she had downed before running inside.

Mandy smiled sweetly back at him, wondering if he was thinking about that one drunken night, too. "Well, you ready to get this thing started?"

Unprepared as she was, Mandy still knew enough to make a decent presentation. This year, they were going to play a joint scrimmage game with the local Little League before the Greek houses faced off.

Mandy looked at the clock hanging on the wall. "Any questions?"

"Yes, I do," Mrs. Chapel, one of the Alumni raised a finger in the air. "Which organizations have you gotten to sponsor the event?"

Mandy silently cursed. She hadn't read the latest email string before running out of Medea's Sin. Stupid, stupid Faris. "Umm..." Mandy stalled, pulling out her phone. "One moment while I--"