thirty-five

There had been so many times Torren saved her ass. Held her hand. Been a source of strength even when his own family was falling apart. Looking back on their high school days, Mandy felt guilty and ashamed of her behavior. Reckless and stupid. Selfish.

Austin wasn't wrong. Torren had been making ripples for both of them.

And had she ever said thank you? Explained how much she appreciated him? Told him how sorry she was for taking advantage of his kindness, time and time again.

All the rides to school. The homework. The times he skipped first period to make sure she ate breakfast and made it to class. The nights he laid with her in bed, holding her when she couldn't sleep.

Torren showed up--come hell or high water. He was always there.

It was one of the reasons why she ignored his feeling for her. Deep down, Mandy had always known Torren loved her—differently than she loved him. And she hadn't cared. She let him shower her in kindness, excusing her behavior because she was sad, lonely, and broken. Mandy had loved being the sun in his sky, the thing that his world revolved around. It had been so immature.

What would he think of her now?

Mandy gritted her teeth as she stepped inside the elevator.

She would repay all Torren's kindness if it took an eternity to do so.

Mandy snuck a glance at Faris. Even after everything she knew about this creature, Mandy still felt that inexplicable pull towards him. Why? Why did she feel this spark for Faris—but not for Torren?

Maybe it was because Faris set boundaries. Told her no. Didn't give her everything she wanted. He made her show up and try. More than anything else, undead or alive, he had made her feel something again. Made her want something again.

They exited the elevator, silent as they walked down the long, sterile-looking hallway. Faris entered his PIN into the keypad, and the door unlocked. He held the door open, and Mandy stormed inside. His scent overwhelming as she passed. What was she doing here? What was she looking for?

Faris strolled over to his wine rack without a word and pulled out a dark green bottle of wine, opening it with graceful fingers. Mandy tried not to watch him, eyes scouring the lab for some piece of useful information about his drug.

"Now," said Faris in a staccato burst. "Let's pretend for a moment that I haven't been following you all day."

Mandy sucked in a sharp breath. "You've been following me all day?"

Long fingers cradling expensive crystal, Faris strode over and placed a glass in her hand. Just because she knew it would piss him off, Mandy drained the whole damn thing. Barely even tasting it.

Faris' face pinched. "I said, let's pretend that I haven't been."

Anger seeped into her mind, clouding out the desire and intentions. "Either you have, or you haven't been following me. Answer the question."

"At-Ah," Faris chastised, swirling the wine in his long-stemmed glass. "Yesterday, you wanted my help misleading your friend. Now, I find out that he is a Practitioner of the Magical Arts. So, it seems to me that you've been the one being...dishonest."

He took a sip, his clear green eyes never leaving hers. A hint of the dangerous creature that he was stirring behind those eyes. A crocodile waiting in the reeds.

Choosing her next words carefully Mandy said, "Faris, I only realized what Torren was like--this morning. He didn't tell me. I was able to guess. It might shock you to realize that I am capable of deductive reasoning."

He stared back at her. Silent. This particular crocodile was a patient hunter, waiting for just the right moment to snap.

If she were still human, she'd probably start crying. Balling even. The old Mandy would have collapsed into a puddle when confronted with her misdeeds. Her mother's scolding, the principals, even Morgan's. Whenever Torren would catch her in a lie, the old Mandy had tears on standby.

Mandy sucked in her lip and closed her eyes, willing the tears to come. To save her from this conversation. But there was nothing. She had given up the ability to cry when Faris had made her a vampire.

She had to be stronger. Torren was counting on her.

Mandy fluttered her eyes open. "I know you're probably mad. I know the magicians are the enemy, but Torren is not my enemy. He's not anybody's enemy. He's good and kind, and I can't just let him get killed."

Faris said nothing. Just swirled his glass. Lifted the rim to his nose. Took a sip. The dark stain of the wine tinting his lips. He was waiting for the moment to snap. She could feel it. If he was going to kill her or turn her over to Clint, she would speak her mind first. He needed to know.

"Clint is killing people, Faris. He's a killer. He killed Torren's roommate, and what if--what if he kills Torren, too?" Mandy shook her head as if speaking the words made them more real. "I don't understand how you can go along with all this? I don't get it."

"Mandy," Faris said quietly. His glass looked in danger of cracking. "Look at me. Look at yourself. We are killers. Cursed to drink blood for all of eternity."

"No." Mandy shook her head again. "No, that's a bullshit excuse, and you know it. You don't kill, and neither do I. We're different. That's what you taught me, that we don't need to kill."

Faris dipped his chin to his chest, studying the toes of his dress shoes. Strands of dark hard shadowing his face. That frustratingly perfect face.

"Clint isn't perfect, but he is capable."

"Capable of murder!" Mandy screamed. She didn't care who heard her inside of this pompous building. "What would you do if it was your best friend?" Her voice trailed off. "What would you do if it was me?"

Faris' lifted his chin. His eyes unfocused and sad. Lips slightly parted. It was a look that broke her heart.

Say something, Mandy thought. Say anything. Say you wouldn't let it happen. Say you'd stop him. Say it.

His long, dark lashes closed. "Clint would never hurt you. Not so long as he thinks I do not care whether he does or doesn't." Faris opened his eyes. If she didn't know better, Mandy would have said they looked glassy. "But I do...care."

"Then help me," Mandy whispered. "Help me save Torren. He is not our enemy."

"I--It's more complicated than just saying yes, Mandy. I never wanted to..." Faris' gaze swept around the cold lab. "Clint, he means well...but my sister..." Faris choked out. "She's been—she's been taken."