Chapter Nine: The Knight Mage

~Chapter Nine~
The Knight Mage 

Percival stopped to think for a second then looked down the long hallway full of prison cells. He wanted nothing more than to escape this wretched place, but he had made a promise to help Owin find his companions first. For it was his duty as a knight of Camelot to help those who seeked his aid. He thought for a few seconds more before he spoke.

Percival: "Well the dungeon where your friend is being kept is to the right, however I suggest that we go left for now. There's an armory not too far from where we are, that's most likely where they're keeping our weapons. You're quite capable of doing good without them it seems but that was only against a single golem. I also think we'd do much better against the tower's defenses if we had something better to wear then these rags they put us in."

Owin: "Yes I think you're right it would be beneficial for us to get our weapons and armor, lead the way." Percival walked in front of Owin and down the left side of the hallway leading him towards the armory.

Percival: "The armory is only a few corridors down, luckily for us the guards here are very talkative and I'm very observant. I've gathered enough information about this place to somewhat know my way around."

Owin: "Well with them thinking this place is so inescapable it's no wonder they let their secrets out so easily, either that or the Empire employs a bunch of morons who just can't keep their mouths shut." Percival laughed.

Percival: "I think it's a bit of both to be honest, they aren't the brightest of sort but they're very strong warriors. I believe they've been magically enhanced, from what I heard Isis conducts many different kinds of experiments on them. So who knows what they are capable of."

Owin: "Yet another illegal act the Empire is conducting, Even if they voluntarily agree to it  the magical experimentation on people has been outlawed by the Arnorian Mage's Council."

Percival: "Perhaps the Empire holds more power than you think? The Mage's Council could already know of it yet they won't make a move because of the most likely outcome."

Owin: "And what exactly is the most likely outcome?"

Percival: "War of course, remember the reason I was sent to Zemor in the first place was to stop that exact thing from happening with Avalon. Uther long knew that war was inevitable with the Empire. He wanted to at least try and obtain peace before he took any drastic steps."

Owin: "Well if what you say is true, then I know someone who'll be able to find out exactly what the Mage's Council knows. One of my companions, a witch named Aqua, just so happens to have a sister on the council."

Percival: "I'll have to ask her when we get out of here then, It's good to have friends in high places isnt it?" Percival turned his head and smiled at Owin, who smiled back.

Owin: "That it does, I assume you're saying you consider yourself my friend then? We've only just met after all."

Percival: "Yes I do consider you a friend, I can tell if a person has a pure soul or not and you Owin have one of the purest I've seen in a long while."

Owin: "Then I guess that makes you my friend as well Percival." Just then Owin stopped smelling the air.

Percival: "What is it Owin?"

Owin: "Behind us, there's several guards making an approach, how far are we from the armory?"

Percival: "It's still a bit further down, how can you tell they're guards?"

Owin: "Slayer senses remember? By the scent of them they're definitely human and no one I know. We won't be able to get to the armory in time, they're closing in on us fast, we'll have to face them." Owin and Percival turn around to find five guards standing right behind them clad in heavy armor equipped with shields and spears. "Or maybe we should just run for it, we seem to be at a slight disadvantage."