Chapter Seventeen: The Beginning of the End

(Warning: this chapter contains foul language, torture, violence and depictions of blood that might not be suitable for some readers.)

~Chapter Seventeen~
The Beginning of the End

Aqua stepped through the portal followed by Ryo and Luke. They soon came out on the other side near the large exterior walls of the fortress. She looked around to make sure the area was clear before speaking.

Aqua: "This is as close as I could get without them noticing us. Now we just have to get inside without anyone knowing what we're up to. Ryo you've been in there before, surely you know of a secret passage or something we can take.

Ryo: "Yes there's one not far from our current position in fact, so follow me and keep close. Also try not to get caught because the guards here won't be as merciful as the ones back in the Elysium Tower." Ryo then took off down the street followed by the others, making sure to stay close to the wall of the fortress. He soon stopped near the middle and started to touch it pushing at the individual stone blocks. "Let's see I know it's here somewhere." He continued to press the wall until a clicking sound could be heard. "Here it is! This is our way into the fortress." The wall then started to slide open revealing a hidden passage. "This way hurry, we don't have long until the door closes again." They stepped into the long dark tunnel and sure enough the wall slid shut just as Ryo said it would. "Aqua if you'll be so kind as to provide us with a little light please?"

Aqua: "I invoke Ernir, God of Light, illuminate the darkness so we may find our way." An orb of light had then suddenly formed in front of Aqua illuminating the dark tunnel.

Ryo: "That'll do just fine, thank you Aqua." He started to walk down the long tunnel followed closely by the others. "There's a ladder down this path that goes up into the fortress pantry, let's just hope that there's nothing blocking the door at the top otherwise we came all this way for nothing. There are other secret passages into the fortress but they're all guarded, so this is our only way in especially if we want to remain unnoticed." They continued on down the tunnel until they came to the ladder that Ryo had mentioned a bit ago. "Here we are, I'll go up first then you two follow. Be careful climbing and make sure not to slip because it's about a fifty foot drop back down to the tunnel floor." Ryo grabbed onto the ladder and started to climb upward towards the fortress's pantry.

Aqua: "Okay Luke you're next and like he said be careful please." The boy looked at her with a reassuring smile before he too grabbed a hold of the ladder.

Luke: "I know that the only reason you want me to go first is so you can catch me if I do manage to slip, but I promise I won't." He then started to climb up and Aqua followed up not too long after. When Ryo finally reached the top he slowly pushed open the hidden door just wide enough to peek through it. When he saw that the coast was clear he opened the door all the way and climbed out.

Ryo: "It's all clear, come on up but stay quiet." Luke then climbed up into the pantry and Aqua soon after who closed the door behind her. "Alright just outside the door here is the kitchen which connects to the servants hallway, it'll lead us straight to Gregor's office. Most of the fortress should be in bed at this hour, all except for the night guards." Ryo walked over and exited the pantry into the kitchen then signaling to others that it was all clear and they soon joined him. "Stay close to me and remember to stay quiet." They then made their way over to the servants hallway and proceeded down it trying to stay as quiet as they possibly could in order to not wake any of the servants in the nearby rooms. After a few minutes they soon reached Gregor's office without incident. "Those documents are here somewhere so spread out and look through everything. If you come across something that's locked, definitely tell me because that's more than likely where we'll find the information that we seek." With that said Aqua went to a nearby chest and Luke went to a cabinet while Ryo searched through Gregor's desk.