Chapter Sixteen: The Fires of Hope

(Warning: this chapter contains foul language and depictions of blood and gore that might not be suitable for some readers.)

~Chapter Sixteen~
The Fires of Hope

Killian had busted through the doors of the institute followed closely by an unknown man. He looked around studying the place before his eyes had stopped on Owin and his companions, a look of anger and surprise on his face.

Killian: "Slayer?! How is this possible? You're supposed to be locked up in the Elysium Tower!" He then looked over to Arwen and Percival. "Does this mean Isis failed? Hahahahahaha! Oh that brings me great joy knowing that witch couldn't keep you imprisoned! Sadly for you though, your freedom will be short lived." He walked closer to Owin who raised his sword. "By the look on your faces it seems like you were expecting me to come here? Well after all, I did say I was coming here after looking into the boy's mind. Do you have any idea how long it took me to find this damn place?" He looked around the room once more. "Where is little Luke anyway?"

Owin: "Unfortunately for you he isn't here and yes as a matter of fact we were expecting you to drop by actually, but I'm afraid that you won't be leaving here." Owin then raised his sword even higher motioning to the others to surround Killian and the unknown man. "You've walked right into our trap Killian for this is where you die tonight!"

Killian: "So it wasn't a coincidence then when the scent of the vampires just appeared out of nowhere? I get it now this place has protection magic doesn't it? Magic that keeps it hidden from unwanted individuals such as myself. It's my guess you deactivated it in order to lure me here and trap me inside, which means it was activated again once I stepped into the building. It was a clever idea. I'll give you that, whatever kind of magic is being used here I can feel it draining my energy, but you're foolish to think that this alone will stop me."

Percival: "The only foolish one here is you monster!" Just then a large glyph appeared under Killian and the unknown man. "The magic circle on which you now stand is unbreakable, so yes you're indeed trapped!" Killian tried to move but was frozen where he stood.

Killian: "So it would seem. This is the exact reason why I brought my friend here with me, just in case of situations like this. Allow me to introduce you to Balthazar, one of the four generals of Zhagos and a leyak vampire." Killian smiled watching as Owin's face went from confidence to shock and disappointment. "Hahahaha you know exactly what that means don't you Owin? It means that you're all screwed!"

Owin: "He's right, if this man here does in fact possess the powers of a leyak that means this just turned very bad for us. leyaks are seen as very bad omens and have the ability to manipulate the bad luck of those around them." Balthazar then smiled, a long whip-like tongue then slithered its way out of his mouth as he knelt down touching the glyph which suddenly disappeared. "This just got a whole lot more difficult for us."

Arwen: "Percival's trap glyph has no effect on him it seems and since he's a hybrid that means the warding has no effect on him either! Surely there's a way we can defeat him though?" Balthazar stood back up from the ground and looked over at Arwen, his tongue moving back and forth in the air.

Balthazar: "Arwen it's been awhile hasn't it? You probably don't remember me do you? You only ever met me once for a few minutes after all. I surely remember you though. May I say you're as beautiful as ever and the scent of your skin is quite intoxicating." He licked his lips. "Such a delicious aroma indeed! I'm going to enjoy feasting on your flesh!" He opened his mouth revealing his large razor like fangs and hissed before lunging forward at Arwen who now had her claws out ready to strike. She slashed at him but missed, this was clearly going to be a tough fight for her.

Killian: "Well it seems that Balthazar is set on tearing into her, I don't blame him for wanting to do it, the bitch does deserve it after all. As for you two there's no point in us just standing around." Killian raised his arms and they transformed into their larger dark red skinned form with large razor-like fingernails. He then bared his fangs before running forward and slashing at Owin. His attack however was blocked by Percival's greatsword.