𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟓.

Denji's POV

Kishibe took Kobeni, y/n, and I to some sort of room, and locked it.

"Alright, it's more safe to talk now," Kishibe said. "Makima won't be listening, and eat now since you have the chance."

"I saw some things I shouldn't have seen... Doesn't that mean she'll kill me?" Kobeni asked.

"Yep."

"Can I phone my family?"

"Nope."

"For... the rest of my life?"

"Most likely so."

Kobeni sunk to the ground and put her knees to her chest.

"Thank goodness..." she muttered.

"Huh?" I asked.

"Now I have an excuse to get away from them..."

I sunk down to the floor with her.

"Once you've eaten some food, get some sleep. We'll be starting early tomorrow," Kishibe announced.

"I always get the short end of the s-stick," Kobeni spoke, shaking. "I'm s-scared... of dying... B-But you... a-always come back... to l-life..."

I sighed. "I may look okay but my heart feels like a clogged toilet because of all the crap. All the feelings I had up until now... were actually manufactured by somebody else. I'm dumb and a fool, my ignorance getting in the way all the time. I never made any choices for myself, choices that required important thinking I mean. I feel like... I'll always be an obedient dog to someone from now on."

"A life free of bad things and troubles doesn't exist," y/n said. I looked up to see her standing with her hands in the pockets of her black coat. "Only in your dreams."

"I... wanted to be normal..." I said.

"You want to be normal?" Kobeni asked.

"Chainsaw Man. His name is known by everyone now." The voice of a male news reporter on the TV nearby caught my attention. "He cuts down devils one after the other with the chainsaw on his head. He never reveals his identity and doesn't ask for anything in return. This man fights and gets back up no matter how many times he's been pushed down."

"That's me..." I watched as the news showed people, large crowds, cheering for me with signs.

"CHAINSAW MAN!! CHAINSAW MAN!!"

Before I knew it, I found myself standing in front of the TV, watching in disbelief.

"Agh..." y/n looked like her head hurt. "This sounds so familiar..." she mumbled.

"They're all praising me!" I exclaimed. "They really are!"

A girl with a sign that read: Chainsaw Man!! Go out with me!!! appeared on the screen.

"Oh my gaw!" I said, tearing up. "They really... They really love me!" I started hugging the TV.

"Be a little more quiet, will ya?" Kishibe told me.

"The truth is... the truth is..." I started. "I'm tired of eating boring foods like toast with jam for breakfast! What I really want... is to eat steak as my breakfast every morning! I know! It's terrible! And it's the same with girls! I want 5... no... 10 girlfriends!! I want to have so much sex!! That's why... I... I wanna be Chainsaw Man!"

Kobeni, Kishibe, and y/n looked at me in silence.

"If you draw attention to yourself, you'll get killed by Makima. She has keen ears. In other words, the day you turn into Chainsaw Man is the day you die by her hands," Kishibe said.

I'm tired... but not asleep yet. I look around and notice that everyone's sleeping except... y/n. I crawl over to her body that's laying on the floor, her back facing toward me.

"Y/n? Are you awake?" I ask.

"Hm?"

"I... I know you're tired and you should get some sleep, but... I can't sleep either. Can you... stay up with me?"

"Something's bothering you, isn't it?" she asked, turning around and sitting up.

"Yeah. You see... I still wanna be Chainsaw Man. But, how can I kill Makima so I can do that? I can't beat her by swinging my chainsaws around recklessly."

"You've spent a lot of time with her, right? There has to be something that feels off."

I thought about it... but couldn't think of anything. My facial expression turned into a confused and annoyed one, clearly showing how frustrated I was that my crappy brain became even crappier. Y/n sighed.

"Did you know? I like hugs," she said, and opened her arms to hug me. It felt nice, I haven't felt something like this in a while. She had pulled me into her chest, one hand wrapped around me and the other stroking my hair.

"I feel bad for you. It's like every woman you meet doesn't want you. They want Chainsaw. In the end, they always screw you over."

"Ouch. That hurts," I mumbled.

"But, I promise I won't be like them. I won't abandon you. Instead, I'll always be on your side."

Hearing those words made my heart feel warm. I stayed quiet, not knowing what to say as a response. But then a tear slipped down my cheek. Wait, huh? Am I crying? Because of what y/n said?

"I've always felt something off about Makima, but now we know my feeling was right. You can do it. You can kill Makima. I believe in you, Denji."

I looked up to see y/n smiling. She rarely smiled, so seeing this made it all so much more beautiful. Wiping my tears, I hugged her tight.

"I know you still like her though," y/n spoke.

"I... I can't deny that... It's the truth. You can read me so well, huh..."

"But, like I said... I believe in you, Denji. You can defeat Makima. I'm on your side."

Her words gave me support and encouragement. They gave me strength and confidence. I still remember the first day we met. Aki was by her side, both dressed in their formal suits. My first impression of her was that she was cute, and pretty. I only noticed her looks. Never in my life, throughout this whole time, did I think I would become close to someone as powerful as her. Someone as amazing, strong, and beautiful as her. And admire her. If y/n is on my side, I can do anything.

"That's right. I'm not her stupid dog anymore."

AUTHOR'S NOTE 🫂

I'M SO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING THIS BOOK IN WEEKS

i've been busy with school and life, pls understand

writing these chapters take time, but we're close to the end so i'm not giving up, just be patient with me :)