Twenty-Two | Everyone Believed Him

Three days after the dance

Chapter 22 : Everyone Believed Him

Have you ever gotten a feeling that something doesn't feel right or getting a bad feeling about something? Well, that's me this morning. For some reason, I woke up with this feeling. I can feel it in the pit of my stomach and I'm super nervous about entering school. Maybe I'm imagining things, maybe It's because I lost the little bit of confidence I had left after the night of the dance.

Now here I am right now in the car with my Mom and Harmony as she's driving us to school. We usually ride with Harley, but he had early morning practice for the upcoming game that's a month away.

I hate when there's an upcoming game. Harley completely loses his shit more than usually. It's like he's on his man period and it's exhausting. He has mood swings, gets frustrated and loses his full-time confidence before the game. Which means before a big game when he doubts himself, harmony and mom and I have to find ways to boost his overly extreme confidence back up.

Who would have thought my brother, the guy most people are afraid of, loses his confidence? My brother has a weak spot for basketball, it's like his world. He'd marry the sport if it were possible.

"Are you ok?" Mom asked, glancing at me from the corner of her eye while driving down the street.

"Yeah, I'm just worked up about the game and Harley. His mood swings are scary," I chuckled and watched as we passed by houses. Mom laughed a bit and shook her head.

"Aren't we all? But we end up surviving it, don't we?" I glanced at the smile that sat on her lips and nodded my head, smiling also.

"Yeah, we do. It always feels like we're getting ready for an earthquake and never know when it's gonna quake," I chuckled again before leaning my head back onto the head of the seat.

I smiled as mom laughed genuinely before her laughter soon died down and she cleared her throat, suddenly becoming serious. "Did something happened the night of the dance? Something you didn't tell me?" She asked, glancing at me before turning the corner entering another street.

"No, it was great. We had fun," I said, clearing my throat. Gosh, why do I have to be so awkward? "Why do you ask?" I started biting on my lower lip out of nervousness.

"You just seem to act a little different that's all. You can talk to me if something's bothering you, you know?" I smiled and nodded my head, glad to have a mother like her who is caring. I guess there are just some things I don't want to tell my mom or anyone.

It got quiet for a few seconds until I heard mom speak, "Did something happen with Damon?" she whispered loud enough for me to hear. I widened my eyes before turning around in my seat, looking at harmony. I was relieved when I saw her with headphones in her ears listening to music.

"What? Mom, no!" I said, blushing in embarrassment while folding my arms and letting out a sigh. "Are you sure?" I rolled my eyes, hearing the amusement and disbelief in her voice. Mothers.

"Mom, I am positive. He's with Scarlet and nothing will ever happen between us," it's like I could hear the disappointment in my voice. I tried not to think about it but it's hard when it's consistently on my mind 24/7.

Mom cut the engine to the car off and turned her body some to face me. "I know it's hard baby, trust me I do. I know you want nothing more to just scream out loud to make some of the pain go away," She leaned her head on the headrest and reached her arms out to put some of my hair behind my ear. I nodded my head and smiled sadly.