Chapter 4- Doranelle

Freya had been asleep when she felt Maeve's summons rouse her.

Dark eyes blinking open in the night , she dressed quickly in a simple green tunic ( for Terrasen HA) and leathers before hurrying along the empty stone corridors bathed in moonlight.

She entered her mother's chambers head bowed and teeth gritted. Maeve was in the process of dressing herself in deep purple travelling robes but paused turning her head towards her, dark eyes meeting darker, "Ah Freya, I'm leaving for a few days at most but you are not to follow me this time. You will remain in the city, Aelin is being moved but I forbid you to look for or visit her"

Silence. Even in her Fae form Freya would not speak to Maeve if she didn't have to and she recognised the dismissal for what it was. Bowing she removed herself .

Silently slipping out of the palace she shifted with a flash of light , soaring into the night sky, wings beating furiously she raced against the wind, face to the moon. Anything to distract her and to get away from that beautiful shining prison.

.........

Elide Lochan walked along the stone bridge into the shining City of Rivers. Blue and pink flowers draped from shop windows , little canals wound through the streets ferrying bustling Fae in their bright boats. Animal forms rushed past her along side Fae, both hurrying with everyday errands carrying bread and shopping, she'd never seen anything like it .

After trying and failing to convince the wary Fae soldiers that filled the two taverns she'd spotted to give her any information about Cairn's whereabouts she huffed in frustration, dropping the trembling human jilted lover act.

Turning down a short alley Elide was running through options in her head when a soft laugh stopped her in her tracks.

"You're much too clever to have slept with anyone as disgusting as Cairn."

Elise spin around on her good foot and was faced with what she thought was equally the most frightening and stunning sight she'd ever seen.

A gorgeous Fae female stood tall before her. Elide's sharp eyes noticed that despite being dressed in a  dress of deep blue silk she stood like a warrior. Her shining dark hair fell around her shoulders in loose curls contrasting beautifully with her glowing skin but her eyes Gods her eyes were what frightened Elide she'd only every seen eyes that dark when she'd first seen Maeve on that beach. 

The female's red lips smirked at her in an eerily similar manner but there was no cruelty there like Elide had seen in Maeve.

"So who are you really Finnula?" her eyes dancing with mirth as she mockingly used the name Elide spun to the soldiers.

Elise tensed, ready to flee should this stranger become too suspicious of her for being in Doranelle - not that she could outrun a Fae warrior with her limp.

The teasing smirk softened as she said , "Don't worry, I just want to talk, to help- Cairn's not really the person you seek is he ?"

"No, but I need to know where he is"
"To find your Queen I presume"

Elise froze, none of the other Fae had known anything regarding Aelin's presence here, most didn't even know where their General was. "Yes" Elide whispered, "How did you know?"

"Because, you're wearing Rowan Whitehorn's cloak  AND you stink of Lorcan Salvaterre" she grinned.

"Who are you?" a bewildered Elide breathed.

Something like pain flickered across her beautiful face before she smiled sadly , "My name is Freya, but no one will know my name, trust me."

Elise swallowed, she found that hard to believe,
"I'm Lady Elide Lochan of Perranth"

At this the Fae's eyes widened a fraction , "It is an honour to meet you Lady," she winked, then her face became more serious " I cannot take you there but I can tell you where she is - I assume Whitehorn or Gavriel are somewhere near  prowling around waiting for you."

.......

Lorcan had begun pacing, gazing down the hill, waiting with Rowan and Gavriel for Elide to return.

It'd been too rutting long.

He'd go in five minutes, Aelin Galathynius and their plan be damned.

Twigs snapped under light feet and he shot upright alert and then sank to the the floor with wobbly legs as Elide entered the clearing,

"What happened ?" Rowan asked, "I .. met someone" she replied hesitantly.

Elise quickly explained the odd circumstances of her meeting - that Maeve had fallen for their bait and where Aelin was. Instantly Lorcan was distrusting , "Who is this Freya, how do we know she's not a spy for Maeve?!"

Rowan's eyes were shining with hope but doubt clouded his face , "Elide, how do you know we can trust her ? I've never even heard her name ?"

"She said you'd say that" Elise smiled, "She also said that if you didn't believe her I should tell you she's been watching over your Fireheart for you, but you must hurry."

Rowan froze, his breath got caught in his throat at the name. Silence filled the clearing, even Lorcan didn't dare to speak while Rowan processed his beloved's name.
"We go in at nightfall."

Lorcan tried to object but Rowan just snarled at him so ferociously he didn't speak for the rest of the day.