Alternate Ending

It was late at night as everyone sat around in the tavern, worry etched onto their faces. Upstairs, Merlin and Gowther hurryingly rushed around the room with supplies and medical equipment while King sat at the bedside, holding his beloved's hand. A pained scream emanated from Diane who was laying on the bed going through labor. Diane squeezed King's hand tightly throughout her excruciating pain, nearly breaking it.

      After several hours, the pained screams and the frantic demands and tasks ended. The room went quiet as tears began to form in Diane and King's eyes. Diane looked down at the infant she held in her arms, her eyes filled with more joy than the giantess had felt in years.

Diane: "Lily... How's that for a name?"

King: "I love it."

      King looked up from the child to Diane and noticed that Diane was pale and sweaty, and her eyes were barely open.

King: "Diane? Are you okay?"

Diane: "I'm... fine..."

      King leaned down and kissed Diane's cheek as she quietly giggled and brought her hand up and held it on King's cheek.

Diane: "I..... love.... you....  Harlequin...."

      King closed his eyes and smiled to himself.

King: "I love you too Dia-"

       King's eyes snapped open as he felt Diane's hand leave his cheek and he heard a light thud on the bed.

King: "D-Diane?"

      King sat there in shock for a second before turning to Merlin.

King: "Mer-"

      King stopped talking and his heart dropped when he saw Merlin and Gowther standing there with their heads bowed low. What caught King by surprise most was the single tear that streamed down the supposedly emotionless doll's face.

       King's attention was brought back to the bed when he heard a baby's cry. King picked up the child and cradled her in his arms as he softly spoke to her.

King: "shh... It's okay, it's okay."

       King kissed the newly born girl's forehead as he smiled sweetly at her and her cries subsided.

King: "I swear. I'll protect you, no matter what."

       King looked up as he felt a hand on his shoulder and saw Merlin looking down at him.

Merlin: "We should go tell the others."

King: "Y-You and Gowther go ahead. I kind of want some time alone."

Merlin: "I understand. Come on Gowther, let's go."

Gowther: "O-Ok..."

          Merlin and Gowther left the room, closing the door behind them and leaving King alone with Diane and his new born daughter. King gently placed his forehead against Diane's forehead as he winced, trying to conceal his deep sobs.

King: "Diane... p-please...."

(1500 years later)

          King laid on a bed made with a rim of red and white flowers and an interior of soft moss. Surrounding him was all of his close friends and loved ones. The seven deadly sins, Gerheade, Oslo, Elaine, many fairies from around the Fairy King's forest, and his beloved daughter Lily, who sat next to King's bedside clenching his hand. 

          Despite being of the race with the longest lifespan, King wasn't immortal like Ban or Meliodas. He had to leave this world someday. His once hazelnut hair had turned completely grey in his many years spent as Fairy King, he had tired bags under his eyes at all times, and what little remained of his wings were almost entirely devoid of color.

         King looked up at his daughter proudly. Her wings shone gloriously in the sunlight that poured onto the top of the sacred tree. Her hazelnut hair flowed freely in the wind as her amethyst eyes looked sadly over at her father.

         King knew that she would be the Fairy Queen after his death. The Sacred Tree had chosen her to be the next leader of the fairy race and King couldn't be more proud. He had decided to pass down Chastiefol to her, knowing that the future of the forest and his people was in good hands.

Lily: "Hey father?"

King: "Yeah?"

Lily: "A-Are you sure I'll be a good ruler?"

King: "I'm positive. You're every bit as sweet, caring, and strong as your mother."

Lily: "I wish I'd known her."

King: "I wish you could've known her too. She was a great woman. And now, I can finally see her again."

Lily: "But father-"

King: "Shhh... I've lived a full life. I'm happy and I have no regrets. So please, let me rest."

Lily: "...... Okay... You can rest."

King: "Thank you."

          Gerheade suddenly stepped up and addressed the crowd.

Greheade: "I'm afraid that all those who are not close friends and family will have to leave for now to have privacy."

          Everyone except for the sins, Elaine, Lily, and Oslo left. Elaine, who also showed signs of heavy aging stepped forward to run her hand through King's hair.

Elaine: "Goodbye Harlequin. Thanks for being a great brother."

         Elaine stepped back and let Meliodas step forward. The former captain of the seven deadly sins reached his hand down and King shakingly lifted his free hand up to shake Meliodas' hand.

Meliodas: "Harlequin. You've done indescribable good for Britannia. Trust me, your life and contributions will never be forgotten. You were a great king. Rest easy old friend."

        Meliodas stepped back and wiped his eyes off. Even though his father had been defeated over a millennia ago, Meliodas could only lift Elizabeth's curse, not his own. He was still cursed to see everyone he cared about die in front of him. First Escanor, then Diane, Elizabeth, and now King.

         At the very least he knew Ban, Merlin, and Gowther would be around as long as he was. But as for everyone else, there was nothing the Dragon sin could do but watch as they fade away one by one.

        Slowly, King's eyes began to close as he spoke for one last time.

King: "Thanks... all of you..."

       As King took his final breath, Lily's wings turned to a more greyish blue than they usually were as she began to sob. Oslo lifted his head to the sky and howled out for his old friend as Elaine, Ban, and Gowther struggled not to cry, and Merlin bowed her head in silent respect. Meliodas on the other hand simply smiled to himself. He knew King was finally at peace and could be with his love once more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

???: "Harlequin~!"

         King's eyes slowly opened as he found himself laying in an open field. He sat up and noticed a weird feeling on his back. King craned his neck to see his wings, fully there, glistening in the sunlight. King also felt youthful again. He plucked out a hair form his head to realize that his hair was once again a hazelnut orange color.

        Suddenly King felt a pair of arms wrap around and over his shoulders from behind him and pull him into a tight hug. The figure soon released King and he turned around to see her.

        Diane. Just as youthful and beautiful as the day King lost her. 

King: "D-D..."

Diane: "Hey Harlequin. I missed you."

King: "I-I missed you too. I'm sorry for making you wait a millennium."

Diane: "It's okay. Now we have all the time in the world to be together. Welcome home."

       King looked to his right and saw the old cave he and Diane used to live in when they were younger. Diane stood up and held her hand out to King who gladly took it and walked into the cave with Diane by his side.

At long last, they were home.