Chapter Ten: Discoveries

Jack rolled over again. There was a visible mist in his dreams. He had been dreaming about taking long walks with this hot brunette babe with a sunny view and as the lady began to take her hand down his waist there was mist everywhere. He couldn't see his dream. He frowned in his sleep, but the mist kept getting cloudy. In couple of more seconds the lady bad disappeared and he had been breathing the mist. It was thick, it too long and felt like his lungs were jamming inside. His heart began to beat faster, he was sweating as he rolled on the other side. It helped a little but the then the feeling came back again. His throat felt like somebody stuffed thick cotton balls into it. He felt being dragged back. The world swirled for Jack. Then the darkness cover. His head hurt and ached. It was crushing itself from the inside. Then the feeling of suffocation went back like snap of the fingers. He was back in town of Rosalind with those cosmic people marching their way to the end again.

Lisa moaned in her sleep. She had been running in her dream and now she was sitting on the bench under this old tree. She was sea-facing and people jogged behind her. She spread her hands to the edges of the bench and a gentle breeze cooled her right of the clouds tried to hide the sun but unsuccessful in every attempt. Everything worked in a perfect harmony. She closed her eyes in her sleep and took a deep breath. Then she noticed Jack, Jenny, and Matt walking towards her. But what was surprising was that they all were young. Way too young, everyone about 17 or 18, Jack with all his styled hairs looked the same goofy, immature guy. Lisa had two pigtails and that cute smile that she had lost after a while. She didn't imagine Matt to be so spicy, maybe because she never looked at it this way. They were walking at her in a very slow motion. Like a cinematic cut. They all bore wide grin on their faces. The sky was blue, and she noticed that a much older Rose was swinging on the park swings. Well, this was turning into an interesting dream.

Then it turned into even more.

They came close to the tree and the sun had sunken down. Their smiles never faded, Lisa felt awkward about it. Then Jack took a switchblade and started to lick it with his tongue, Matt took a gun and put it in his mouth, he was giggling childishly. Jenny went behind the tree and got a lawnmower. She was looking at Lisa intensely. Then she started the lawnmower,

Rrrrrrrr. . .

It gave that monstrous noise. Lisa began to back of and Matt brought his finger close to the trigger. No she doesn't want to see, so she closed her eyes. But it's no use, Jack was moving towards Rose with his switchblade pointing at her. Lisa wanted to scream but she dumbstruck. She took one step at Jack's direction and Matt got ready for the trigger, Lisa paused. Then Jenny came running at her with the lawnmower, screaming her head and the lawnmower roaring. She thought she couldn't do it, but she did. She took a step back and began to run. There was a loud gunshot, but Lisa struggled with herself, she didn't want to look back. Then there was a shrill cry of the girl on the swing, the cry pierced her ears, but she didn't look back. Jenny was laughing and bobbing her head as she came at Lisa with her monster lawnmower. She kept running again and she moved towards the grey part of her dream.

Matt couldn't stop thinking about Lisa, it was like Lisa overdose inside him. All the memories and fantasies coming at him, he couldn't fall asleep because of it. Them kissing by the beach, then kissing again under the mistletoe at Christmas. In the bedroom, her soft moaning, her hair in his hands. He twinged a little. His heart now racing as the bedroom second gripped him. He could feel it now, her hands on his shoulders and he could see her ecstatic face, then more moans. She was going for fast. So it got faster, moaning becoming louder and louder. Then it with one last moan from both of them. Their breathing was rapid after the sex. He hugged her as she slept over him.

"I love you so much honey." said Lisa in her slow, naughty voice. He smiled in his sleep. It was almost night outside. But this time there were no cold winds because they were in hotel suite with a fireplace and all. He closed his eyes in his dream and thought about how lucky he was and how much he loves Lisa.

Their room door opened, they quickly covered themselves under the sheet. Matt was about to say get out! but there was no one. They both looked at each other. None of them had a clue. There was a whistle of the wind and suddenly the sheets of their bed were blown away. Matt turned tried to hug Lisa, but her left leg lifted and for a moment there was an eye contact.

"Ahhhh!!" Lisa screamed in Matt's dream,

He saw her being dragged outside the room. He froze, knowing that it was not the right thing to do but what could he except watch her soon-to-be wife being dragged away by and invisible hand. Then as the Lisa screamed once more, he got up wearing his orange night dress he began to follow the sound.

He reached the corridor and then Lisa's scream came through the right and so he began to run towards it. Then it came from left as he reached another corridor. Then it came from a room. He quickly grabbed the knob, but it won't open. Desperately he began to hit it with his hands, there were tears clouding his vision. Matt struggled in his sleeping bag as the dream played. He began to smash the door knob and the scream came from another corridor. He was breathing in spasms, sweat running down his head. There were huge 18-century style windows which let the moonlight in.

Just like the classics

He was walking now since the sound didn't seem to go away. He crossed one of the three windows. There were only two doors in front of him. Then he crossed another window, a thought ignited in his mind, which room? It spoke. He still walked into the light of the third window and there were burning letters on both the doors. He stepped back. Then clearing his tear-streaked eyes, he read the one on the right, Masque of Red Death it said. The Poe story? Thought Matt, then he read another door, Pit and Pendulum. Another Poe story.

He was a bit confused. He stood still on his ground, how would I know which one was she in? He thought, then looked back. The hotel seemed quiet and eerie. His instinct told him that there was someone at that corner he had come from. Maybe something to kill him in his dream, that'd be fun. But he wasn't going to check it. He focused on the doors, he began to think about it,

Maybe it's a game my head's playing. Yes! this is a dream maybe if I dream something else, I'll be okay. Or maybe if I could wake up.

So he tried to shift from his dream, thinking about his family, about his work but nothing seemed to take his away. Instead he began to imagine more, like the hotel was totally black, situated in an empty space, like it was floating. Then his mind began to zoom out, making him see the hotel from the top view. Higher and higher it went. The whole hotel was literally in space! Floating in the orbital manner. This freaked him out and he began to suffocate. Then he was back in front of the two rooms. He was getting out of control.

In the cabin, he had begun to sweat, and his face had gone red. His lips were pursed and his eyes squinched. It was like he was trying to not breath, self-suffocation. The dream Matt had tried to figure it out. Maybe it asks which one came first, if I answer correctly, I'll get to see Lisa. But then this wasn't a quiz show. His frustration was getting better of him. That's when he decided to fuck it and just go for it because it didn't matter it would still be a dream and he began to for the pit and pendulum just as he grabbed the door knob, hand suddenly rested in his shoulder. He jumped, it was Jenny!

"No! Don't do it!" she was saying.

"Jenny, what are you doing here?" the words left his mouth without even realizing it.

Jenny was trying to say something, she was talking and waving her hands all over the place, but Matt couldn't hear her or understand one word. Realizing it was making this more complex he opened the pit and the Pendulum.

There was a large blade swinging above Lisa's body. But it already had blood on her, as if the deed was done. And when Matt looked at Lisa, the deed indeed was done. There were pieces of Lisa lying all over the floor. Her hands dismembered and sliced. Her waist on the stone slab, her chest behind it and the head its way near Matt's legs. There were no eyes.

Matt screamed in the cabin. He woke up but no one else. He got up from his bag and rushed towards Lisa. He looked at her, she seemed fine, there was a moment of peace. Then she began to bleed from her waist. The pink bag getting darker with blood.

Word Count:- 10669