Chapter Twenty one: Upper still

Lisa ran towards Matt, through the debris of bodies. He didn't lookback to see Lisa. She noticed him from far away. The city was Manhattan, all the buildings intact and good as new. The sky bloomed with beautiful colors of red and orange. The wind was soft and cool, that kind when everyone is preoccupied with their daily lives yet notice the glimmering headlights of the cars as they went by, it was also that kind of evening where young couples first disclose their feelings to each other while sitting in a good restaurant, the boy would all sharp like wearing good jacket and hair all combed perfect the girl would be even beautiful that evening making the boy chock at the beauty. The evening of love, if one may call it.

In this evening of love, Lisa tip-toed across the millions of dead bodies. She could see Matt going further and further away. She paused to look down at the bodies. It was revolting but curiosity is a dangerously insensitive thing, the boy looked perfectly fine, no wound marks or strangulation. But the lips were cracked, and the eyes were open, Lisa cringed as the boy's eyes were looking straight at her.

"What killed them?" She thought,

Then she looked up, Matt almost disappeared in the corner. She began to walk through the bodies. She found that she couldn't speak in this dream maybe because Derkan prohibited it. But the question was, Is this Matt's dream or Derkan' s? There was only one way to find out. She reached the corner and found Matt stopped and bent over a pole. She ran towards him and hugged him from behind. Matt startled at the sudden hug then turned back to see Lisa. His eyes filled with big tears and he hugged her back.

"I found you Matt." Lisa thought,

"I've been waiting for you..." a voice said in her mind, Matt's voice.

"Can you hear me?"

"Yes. I think so."

The looked at each other, this was unbelievable.

"What happened here?" Lisa asked,

"A virus, a pandemic. It got all of them." He answered,

"Derkan had some weird dreams."

"Derkan? Who is that?" Matt frowned at the name.

"Derkan is the name of the creature, listen Matt, I need to tell a lot of things to you but now is not the time. I met Jack and he is guarding the exit. We have to find Rose and Jenny and make it back to Jack as fast as possible. He could break and give up at any moment."

"You found the exit? That's great!"

"I didn't, Jack did. Now let's go!"

"We can't." Matt took her hand. "Its my dream."

"So? Matt I'll just close my eyes and you hold onto my arm-"

"We can't leave because-" there was a cracking sound like snapping of bones. Lisa looked around. The dead bodies started to stand up, the sky was turning black. The moon was big red eye now. The bodies began to mix with each other.

"Because I knew this would happen." Matt said and he dragged her with him as they ran farther than the abomination.

The creature was now having millions of hands and legs, eyes all over the body. It was as tall as the empire state building. Matt rushed towards a shopping center and pushed the doors open. The door swung and crashed on the sides then shattered into pieces. More than 10,000 hands came snatching things towards them. He slipped past the biscuit section, then the snacks section. The hands crawled on the floor, the walls, the roof. Rushing towards them to grab their asses and shove them into its mouths. Lisa could barely keep up with this, one thing she noticed was that when she closed her eyes now, she couldn't see anyone. This spiked her fear.