𝒊. puppy love

"ANGELICA, YOU COME TAKE THESE trash bags out, girl

"ANGELICA, YOU COME TAKE THESE trash bags out, girl." the older man, rudy, shouted towards the back of the diner, where angelica stood in her pristine pink waitress uniform. she slid her hands out of the green tinted water, drying them with a towel and making her way to the front of the diner with a smile.

he nodded his head to the two bags of trash that sat on the floor, gesturing for her to take them to the dumpsters in the alleyway behind the diner. she gave a curt nod to the older man, picking the two bags up in her small arms and wandering outside.

she didn't notice the man standing with a camera in his window, nor did she see the flying teenage boy that was coming hurling towards her at full speed. it was only when his body landed flat on top of hers that she felt the pressure from him.

"shit, diego! luther!" the boy had stood up by himself, leaving angelica on the floor in a crumpled mess. her perfect uniform was now covered in speckles of dirt, and the trash bags had split from the impact. she frowned when she saw the mess on her frilly white socks, letting out a huff and crossing her arms.

"what year is it?" the boy came towards angelica once more, waiting expectantly for an answer from the brunette girl. when she did reply, he let a sigh fall from his pretty pink lips.

"do you speak english?" angelica stared at him for a moment, taking in his schoolboy appearance with a small frown on her face. she nodded her head to signal that she did speak english, as the boy waited for her answer.

"can you tell me the year?" his burning question made angelica's dark eyebrows furrow, but she wanted to answer it nonetheless.

she latched her hand around his wrist, pulling him towards a trash can at the end of the alley. she pulled out a newspaper from that day, pointing to the date with a small smile.

"sixty three. has anyone else been here today?" angelica waited for a moment, before shaking her head with a slight frown.

"shit, okay. thanks..." he waited to know her name, but then he realised that she wouldn't tell him. she brushed her hair behind her shoulder, pointing to the name tag pinned to her uniform.

"angelica." she nodded her head with a smile, noticing that she still had a grip on the boy's slender wrist. she dropped it quickly, stepping back from him and going back towards the green door that lead into the diner.

she gave him a small wave, before disappearing into the diner and flattening her back against the door. she didn't know that many boys her own age, and certainly not one that looked like that boy.

"what's with the googoo eyes, girl?" she jumped slightly as rudy stood in front of her. she shook her head, slipping past him and trying to conceal her small smile that had spread across her perfectly painted lips.

she dodged into the kitchen, sinking her hands back into the water to carry on cleaning the dishes like she was before she met the mysterious boy.

     "angelica, you can go home now, darlin'. we're closing up in an hour." rudy popped his head into the kitchen, where angelica stood talking to one of the bus boys, james. she liked james.

     angelica rarely went home early. she usually stayed late with rudy to close everything up, but he had seen the state of her dress and socks, and decided that today had taken enough of a toll on her. she nodded curtly, drying her hands and leaning up to place a kiss on the man's cheek.

     she waved a quick goodbye to the rest of the workers, smiling at people as she left through the front of the diner. everyone thought she was a strange girl, of course, but she was still a sweet soul. as she entered the small apartment that she shared with rudy, her small black shoe stepped on white envelope on the floor.

     she read the name on the front, letting a sigh slip from her lips. she pushed herself out of the door, wandering across the hall to her neighbour, and letting her red knuckles rap on the door.

     "who is it?" of course, angelica wouldn't verbally answer the familiar voice, instead using her own signature knock, which consisted of three taps and a clap. "oh, angelica. a letter?" the paranoid man, elliot, pulled open the door with a strange smile.

     it was only then that angelica saw that familiar schoolboy standing in the middle of elliot's kitchen. he saw her too as he spun around, coming to stand beside elliot. "did you follow me?" she shook her head at the accusation, her eyes widening slightly.

     she pointed to her open apartment door, signalling that that was her home. "you live there?" she nodded slowly, as he wrapped his hand harshly around her wrist, pulling her into elliot's apartment and dragging her towards a wall covered in black and white pictures.

she shrugged her shoulders, until she noticed a couple of the pictures on the walls. she recognised only two of them. the first being the boy beside her, and the second being an older man, wearing all black and carrying knives. her nimble fingers fell towards the picture of the boy first, before she turned to him.

"i'm five." he said quickly, as she pushed her hand towards the picture of the older man. he looked to her with widened eyes, as her own chestnut orbs fell on the small pictures. "diego? you know diego?" she shook her head and watched the boy's shoulders fall, making her frown slightly.

she tapped his shoulder gently, and he watched as she began to rummaged through elliot's drawers, determined to find what she was looking for. she grinned and pulled out a phone book, complete with crumpled yellow pages. she scanned the pages until she found what she was looking for, wandering over to five with the book.

her slender finger pointed to the name and number with a proud smile, and five nodded slowly. diego was where the majority of the umbrella academy had assumed klaus would be. in the nuthouse. now that five knew where he needed to go, he could leave elliot and angelica alone, for now.

"you...you're useful. you're coming with me." angelica's eyes widened as the boy tried to pull her along with him, but instead stopped in her tracks and stomped her foot. she saw the open door to her apartment, wrapping her hand around five's wrist and pulling him into the small flat.

he watched as she disappeared into a room covered in posters and baby pink paint. the apartment looked almost identical to elliot's, with the twist of angelica's bedroom. she emerged with pink post it notes and pen, scribbling something in overly neat handwriting and sticking it onto the refrigerator.

she gave a curt nod to the boy, and the two 'teens' were off on their merry way. to a nuthouse. what could possibly go wrong for them?