MISTRUST

"So tell me what is going on in your busy life? Tati asked Amy as soon as they sat in the small cafe they liked going to.
" Nothing much just preparing for the ice skating Olympics and studying hard. I got a volunteering gig with uncle Francesco. He asked about you by the way. He is writing his memoir and wants me to be part of the team," she explained proudly.

"Mmm, that's so interesting but you got to have fun. What about that boy that you were seeing? The tall one with the puppy dog eyes on the team."

"Maurizio? He was not interested in me. He just wanted to know about you know.. mum and dads, " she replied shyly.

" Screw him and his stupid ugly eyes," Tati defended.

Amy laughed out loud at how fast she changed her attitude. " What happened to his puppy dog eyes?

" Well they became ugly as soon as he got mum and dads in his stupid curious mind."

" Don't you ever get bothered when people approach you and ask you such questions?

" I used to when I was young. But I learnt to appreciate what they have. They put aside all the traditions and cultural beliefs to find happiness. I would do anything to have a love like theirs you know," Tati answered smiling fondly at her sister.

" I have been thinking," Amy began.
" You should come with me to the rink like you used to," she said smiling.

" What, no you don't want me on the rink. I have become heavier and I might not balance very well on those skates. Plus I might need to buy shoes..

" And we know all those are just excuses. Come on T, I have seen you on the rink. You are great and the way you command the attention of those around, you can tell they are fascinated by what you do. I will even come with you so we can do it together," she tried to convince her.

" Ok, I will think about it. But it's not....

" Tati, Tatiana Ricci-Stepanov," she heard someone call her interrupting her conversation with Amy. She would know that condescending voice anywhere. She squeezed her eyes and looked at Amy helplessly who squeezed her hand. Amy knew that Luisa had tormented and bullied her sister through high school.

" Luisa, how are you? Tati asked suddenly feeling conscious about herself. Luisa was Justin's wife. Tati never liked Luisa because she was the kind to put you down to make her feel better about herself. She had been one of Tati's and Cyril's bullies in school. She was on of the people that made her teen years very painful.

" I see you are still running around even after you were named ice-princess by Bonifazio. If you couldn't land a man so handsome and rich like him then I guess I was right all along. You are just as disgusting as they come. You might be a model but I think we all know how you got the job. Your family name. You will....

" That's enough, Amy came to Tati's rescue. If you don't have anything good to say, then shut up and get the fuck away from our table," Amy shouted at her gaining attention from the patrons in the restaurant.

" Ooh look, the little puppy speaks. All you Ricci-Stepanov sisters are pathetic," she said before putting on her glasses and walking out. Tati followed after her.

" Tell Justin that I hired a private investigator to look into Cyril's and Dante's deaths," Tati shouted at her because she was ignoring her.

"What did you just say? Why are you doing this? You are so pathetic you want to ruin their lives? Justin blamed himself for a long time because Cyril asked him to accompany him that night and he refused. You always want to find purpose in your little pathetic life. Why don't you go and work on those charities you are always organising. Nobody wants your help. You think you are helping but you just want to ruin everything. Am not telling Justin anything. Drop that stupid case and let sleeping dogs lie."