Alone Together {2}

***Jonas’s POV***

                I leaned against the counter. The store had basically become deserted when the downpour hit, and there was hardly anyone here now besides the employees.

                “Shouldn’t you be working?” Riley asked.

                I shook my head. “Nah, I straightened up the shelves and even helped that red haired kid stock some shelves.”

                “Alexis?” he asked.

                I nodded. “Yea, that’s his name! He’s kind of weird.”

                “He and I usually work together. He’s the bagboy,” Riley said. “He’s quiet, but he’s not mean or anything. Just…closed off. He’s a good worker though. The supervisor loves the guy.”

                “Today was the first time I had ever talked to him,” I said with a shrug.

                “He’s not really talkative. If you start a conversation with him, he’ll talk to you. But usually he’s just quiet,” Riley said. “When I get bored I try to talk to him. He’s not the worst conversation ever, but he’s not exactly enthusiastic.”

                “I ran into him and knocked some stuff out of his hands, but he wasn’t mad,” I said.

                “Alexis has infinite patience. I have never once seen the guy snap, not even when customers freak out on him for stupid shit,” Riley said, laughing.

                “I don’t know how you can work with him all day if he doesn’t talk,” I said, imagining just how boring that would be. Sure, he seemed polite and all, but the work day must drag on painfully slow if he didn’t even talk that much.

                “Like I said, he talks to you if you talk to him.” He laughed. “The guy is a little strange, though. He’s always in a rush to get out of here, but if someone asks him to stay late, he has absolutely no complaints about it.”

                I pictured the red haired man in my mind. He had a smooth face that made him look pretty young, but his eyes were tired and aged.

                “How old is Alexis?” I asked. I was slightly curious about him.

                “He’s 21,” Riley said. “Same age as us. I try to be nice and invite him to the bars with us sometimes, but he always politely declines.” Riley rolled his eyes and laughed. “He says he has to get home. Never says why, though.”

                “Speaking of getting home…” I checked the time, losing my interest in Alexis. It was almost time for me to go.

                I sighed as I watched the rain outside hammer down. I hadn’t driven myself to work today because I was too stupid to check the weather.

                “I can give you a ride home when I get off my shift. But I don’t get off for another three hours,” Riley said, noticing my gloomy stare out of the window.

                I shook my head at him. “Nah, I’ll just put my hood up. I have to go to the store anyways and pick up a suit for my dad. The bag will protect the suit, so I’m not too worried about it.”

                “I hate working this late. I don’t even have Alexis to keep me company,” Riley said miserably. “At least he’s some sort of conversation. Once you leave, I’ll be all alone. Hardly anyone comes when it’s raining this hard outside!”