Alone Together {4}

“Alexis! Wake up!”

                I groaned and forced my eyes open. Micah was shaking my shoulders, and I became aware of the sound of beeping.

                “Your alarm is going off Lex!” Micah said urgently, shaking me more. “Wake up!”

                “I’m up, I’m up,” I mumbled, reaching over and slapping off my alarm.

                I sat up and rubbed my face with my hands. Micah watched me curiously, his hair a mess on his head. Though I doubt mine looked any better.

                “Good morning,” I said, placing my hand on his head. He beamed a smile at me.

                “Good morning!” he said cheerfully.

                I stood up and he jumped off of my bed. He grabbed my hand and we walked to the bathroom together. We brushed our teeth and went back to my bedroom. I handed him a pair of clothes and we both changed before heading downstairs to get breakfast.

                “Good morning Ace!” Micah said.

                “Morning,” Ace said sleepily, stretching. He was in shorts and a T-shirt, pouring himself some of the cereal he had bought yesterday. His phone was on the table, playing Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz.

                “Turn that shit off,” Jer said as he came in the kitchen.

                “My mornings are so pleasant before you people wake up,” Ace said, turning the music up.

                “Ace!” Jer snapped, punching the back of Ace’s head. “Turn it off!”

                Ace winced and glared at Jer. “Lifeless, to those the definition for what life is, priceless, to you because I put you on the high shit. You like it? Gun smoking righteous with one toke,” he said, raising his voice.

                “Ace, I’m going to hurt you,” Jer threatened.

                “I ain’t happy, I’m feeling glad, I got sunshine in a bag!” Ace sang.

                I snatched his phone off the table and turned the music off. “Don’t fight. It’s too early in the morning,” I said, tossing the phone to Ace.

                He caught it, a pout on his face. “You’re all fun killers. Except for Micah,” he said.

                “I’m fun!” Micah said proudly.

                “You’re all annoying,” Jer said.

                Micah shrank back a little, gripping my shorts. I placed a reassuring hand on his head and offered him a smile.

                I lifted him up and sat him down in a chair, pouring a bowl of cereal for both of us. Micah took his bowl gratefully and began to eat. I leaned against the wall with my bowl, checking the time to make sure that I wasn’t running late for work.

                “Alexis, are you working tomorrow?” Ace asked me.

                I shook my head at him. “Nah, I have the day off.”

                “Perfect. I have things to do tomorrow,” he said.

                “I was going to take Micah to the park,” I said.