Alone Together {16}

​​​***Alexis's POV***

​I leaned against the railing of the porch as I watched Jonas drive away. A light breeze blew my hair into my eyes, and I pushed it away absentmindedly.

​"So you're dating him?"

​I jumped and spun to face Christian. He was coming from the garage, having appeared so quickly that I missed him.

​"You saw that?" I said.

​"Would I be asking if I didn't?" He was standing in front of me now.

​"I'm not dating him," I said. "But maybe..."

​I ran a hand through my hair. Christian began to walk into the house, but I reached out and grabbed his sleeve to stop him.

​Christian glanced at my hand on his sleeve. He looked up at me questioningly, and I released him.

​"You talked to my dad today," I said.

​"Jonas," he said.

​I nodded. "Jonas's dad told him that you two looked angry."

​I had seen Christian angry before, sure. But he was usually as composed as I was, so I had trouble picturing my dad pissing him off.

​"I don't get angry easily," Christian said.

​"What did you two talk about?" I asked.

​Christian looked at me for a moment, as if remembering how to talk to me. Then he shrugged at me.

​"He and I don't see eye to eye on certain things," he said, and disappeared into the house before I could stop him again.

​I leaned back against the rail again, trying to take in the nice summer weather. The breeze cooled me down in the heat, and it was the kind of day that Micah would love.

​But something was wrong with him all of a sudden. I wanted to blame Ace, but maybe that was just because I tended to blame most things on Ace. Surely even he couldn't cause this much trouble in such a short amount of time.

​I went back into the house, and Micah was waiting in the living room for me. He was chewing on his pinky again. He noticed me and yanked his pinky out of his mouth, looking afraid, as if I would yell at him for doing it.

​"Hey, don't let yourself get sick," I said, placing my hand on his head comfortingly.

​When I first brought him here, he'd had a habit of biting on his pinky whenever he was nervous, anxious, or scared. I'd broken him of the habit in fear that he'd put germs in his mouth if his hands weren't clean. I had no idea why he had started it up again so suddenly.

​"Micah, what's wrong?" I asked gently, letting my fingers brush through his hair.

​He stepped closer to me and nuzzled against my shoulder. I lifted him up and carried him to my bedroom, sitting on the bed with him in my lap. I continued to brush my fingers through his hair, watching as his eyes closed. Within a few minutes, he was napping against my chest.

​Was he just tired? Was that all that was wrong? Maybe he'd had trouble sleeping at Jonas's. He got a little strange when he was tired sometimes, so maybe that was all that was going on here.

​I carefully laid him on the bed, drawing the covers up to his shoulders and shutting the lights off. I quietly slipped out of the room and went downstairs.

​"That's mine," I said as I entered the kitchen.

​"A special drink from your boyfriend," Ace said, taking another sip of my coffee before holding it out to me.