Alone Together {18}

​I let myself into the house, hearing noises in the kitchen. I went in there and dropped at the counter, watching my dad.

​"Why are you in your work clothes? I thought you were babysitting," dad said. He was in the process of making dinner.

​"Micah was a little hysterical. Alexis had to come home to watch him. I ended up taking his shift," I said.

​"Jonas, I'm not sure about this. A 21 year old taking care of a five year old boy like that...And his father said he made some bad decisions..." Dad shook his head.

​I felt anger welling up in me. "Alexis's parents disowned him."

​Dad looked surprised. "Disowned?"

​"Yea. Want to know why?" I didn't bother waiting for an answer. "Because Alexis is gay. He came out to them when he was 15, and they told him he was a mistake and he had chosen that life for himself. They disowned him for it. He told me."

​Dad seemed appalled at that. "They disowned him for being gay?"

​"Yea," I said. "They did."

​Dad shook his head slowly. "That's horrible. That's disgusting. I can't believe...their own child..."

​Sometimes I forgot how lucky I was to have parents who still loved me despite my sexuality. Sure it had been a little hard to work through when I first came out to them, but they had never put me through the kind of hell some kids went through.

​"That was Alexis's poor decision as a teenager," I said. "He's not a bad kid."

​"That poor kid," dad said at last.

​"Hey, dad, you go to Lowe's a lot, right?" I said, deciding to change the subject.

​"Hm? Yea, I do. Why?" he asked.

​"Would you recognize some of the employees?" I said.

​"Probably. Your sister's friend, Dani, works there," dad said. "She knows most of them. Used to talk about them all the time."

​"Do you know a guy named Jer?" I asked. I explained the way Jer looked the best I could.

​"Oh, yea, I recognize that name," dad said, looking thoughtful. "Dani used to talk about him. That's not his full name, right?"

​"Jericho," I said.

​Dad snapped. "Right, right, that was it. Jericho. Yea, Dani would talk about how mean he acted. She said he could actually be very nice, though. I think he's helped me find some things before."

​"He lives with Alexis," I said, resting my arms on top of the counter. "He's an asshole."

​Dad laughed. "Don't sugar coat it."

​"Sorry, sorry," I said.

​I pulled out my phone, checking it. But I only had new texts from Riley, and none from Alexis.

​I knew he was busy with Micah, but I couldn't but worry. Was everything okay?

​Getting up and heading to my room, I stared at my phone. Should I text him or just leave him alone?

​I laid on my bed, tossing my phone aside. There was no need to bother Alexis. He would text me or call me eventually, and I just had to patient until then.

​​​***Alexis's POV***

​Micah used to cry a lot when I first brought him to the house. Back then, everything and everyone had terrified the poor boy. He'd suffered from nightmares, and loud noises had scared the hell out of him.