Alone Together {11}

***Jonas's POV***

                I parked in front of Alexis's house and got out of my car. I went up to the door and rang the doorbell, waiting.

                Alexis's had texted me late last night to let me know that all of them had gotten extra hours for today, and that he would be back around 7 tonight. So, here I was.

                The door opened, revealing Alexis in his work uniform, nametag pinned crookedly on his shirt. He stepped aside to let me into the house.

                Micah was basically hiding behind Alexis's leg, peeking up at me with his big eyes. He and Alexis led me to the living room.

                "Alright, I have to head out to work. If there are any problems, just call my cell phone. I'll keep it on," Alexis said. "Thank you so much for doing this, Jonas. I really appreciate it."

                "It's no problem Alexis," I said sincerely.

                Alexis knelt down in front of Micah, his face dissolving into a soft smile. He held his arms out, and Micah moved into them, hugging Alexis tightly.

                "Behave," Alexis said, hugging Micah back.

                "I promise I will," Micah said seriously. He nuzzled his head against Alexis's shoulder. "I love you, Lex."

                "I love you too." Alexis stood up, placing a hand on Micah's head and offering him another smile. He waved to the two of us and left the house.

                Micah looked at me shyly. I smiled at him, hoping that I wouldn't scare the poor kid on accident. He seemed like the type to be easily frightened.

                "Hi Micah! I'm Jonas, in case you forgot," I said.

                "I remembered," he mumbled, blushing a little.

                "Why don't you show me around a bit?" I offered. I had no idea where the bathroom or kitchen was, and I had no idea where Micah's room was. I figured I should at least know where places were in the house.

                Micah brightened a little. "I can do that!"

                He led me through to a fairly small kitchen. The paint on the walls was chipped and peeling in places, and the sink was stacked with dirty dishes. The appliances were a little old, and there were pieces of cereal on the counter.

                "This is the kitchen," Micah said. He opened the fridge, which was pretty empty except for some jugs of water, a few juice boxes, some fruit, two cartons of eggs, and milk.

                "The juice boxes are mine," Micah explained. "Lex buys them for me. We share them."

                "He's good to you," I said.

                Micah nodded, smiling with fondness. "Alexis is really nice to me. He's as nice as my mommy was."

                "Where is your mommy?" I asked. I still didn't understand why a little boy who didn't appear to be related to any of them lived with five guys struggling with money as it was.

                Micah dropped his head a little. "She died," he said quietly.

                Oh, god, I was such an asshole. "I'm really sorry Micah," I said, feeling awful. He was so young! He was just a little kid!