Alone Together {21}

​I opened my eyes, rubbing at them. It was dark, and Jonas was fast asleep next to me. Our clothes were piled on the floor, and a blanket was pulled up to our waists.

​My eyes widened and I hurriedly checked the time. "Shit," I hissed.

​"Alexis?" Jonas sleepily mumbled. "What's wrong?"

​"Micah!" I said, sitting up and pushing the covers off of myself. "I've been here for hours, Jonas."

​His eyes widened as well, and he sat up. "Shit, shit, I'm sorry Alexis, I only meant to talk to you!"

​"It's not your fault. I just have to get home," I said, pulling my clothes on. Jonas copied me, grabbing his car keys.

​We left his house, getting into his car. He drove as fast as he could without speeding, pulling into my driveway after a few minutes.

​"If I go in, it'll only make things work. Just let me know how everything is, okay?" he said.

​I leaned over, kissing him. "I'll text you. Jonas..." I didn't have words for what had happened between us, so I just gave him a smile and kissed him again before getting out of the car.

​I watched from the porch as he backed out of the driveway and disappeared down the street. I went into the house, anxiety suddenly rising in me. I had been gone far too long.

​Jer glanced at me from the couch as I entered the living room. "You're in trouble," he said.

​"Where's Micah?" I demanded.

​"Upstairs. He cried for a pretty long time," Jer said with a shrug. "That little bastard is not happy with you."

​"Shit," I said, and turned around, hurrying upstairs.

​I opened the door to my room, but it was empty. I went down to Ace's room, throwing the door open.

​Micah was sitting in Ace's lap, clinging to Ace. His eyes were red from crying, and he looked at me with such a betrayed expression that it broke my heart.

​"You left me," he whispered, tears rising in his eyes again.

​"No, Micah, I didn't mean to leave for so long," I said, kneeling down. "I was just going to talk to Jonas. We fell asleep, though. I'm really sorry, buddy."

​Ace raised an eyebrow at me. "Ditching the kid to screw your new boyfriend? Nice." He pat Micah's back reassuringly. "I had to comfort the little guy when he couldn't find you."

​"Micah, I'm really sorry," I said, feeling horrible. I moved closer to him, and he flinched against Ace. I stopped, slowly raising my hands to show him I wouldn't hurt him. "Micah, please, you know I'd never leave you. It was an accident. I fell asleep."

​I was steadily feeling worse and worse. It wasn't Micah's felt that he felt so betrayed. Everyone in his life had abandoned him in some way. I had been his last hope, and I wasn't there to reassure him when he needed me.

​"I'm sorry," I said again. "I never want to leave you, okay?"

​"My mommy said she didn't want to leave me either," he said, in a voice so choked and broken that I couldn't even find anything to say to that.

​The silence lasted too long, but I spoke even though I knew it wouldn't make much of a difference. "Micah, your mommy was sick," I said, my voice gentle and careful. "I'm not sick. I just made a mistake. I won't do that again. I promise."

​"You should live with Jonas. You'd be happier with him than with me," Micah said quietly. He didn't say to guilt trip me, either. I could tell that he honestly believed his own words.