chapter twenty-eight

the days had started feeling as if they were slowing down. the homework and study sessions were nearly unbearable, but the friends could focus on one another every day. cedric had no task to worry about just yet, which meant the rest of them didn't have to stress.

there seemed to always be a table full of their friends in the library every afternoon. all of them in their uniforms, different expressions continuously painted across each face, laughing a little too loud.

"diggory! do tell what happened in the lake," another hufflepuff girl in their grade came up behind the group, standing giggly with her gryffindor friend. ivy leaned hazily back in her wooden chair, recalling the other four students asking the same question.

cedric being a champion meant everyone coming to him about the inside secrets, but he remained loyal to his fellow champions. he turned around to face the two, parting his mouth while thinking of an excuse to say.

"i heard the weasley kid was kidnapped by fifty merpeople and had to be beaten into submission all by himself." edmund chimed in, a large smirk planted on his face as he watched the girls react to his words.

their interested eyes turned to cedric for confirmation, earning a small shrug, and leaving with a giddy walk out of the library. the group let out a generous laugh, laughing at themselves for letting the girls believe such a story.

"who told you such a fib?" belle's words were barely understood through her delicate laughter. her eyes could barely meet edmund's as he glanced at her with a content smile.

"ron weasley," he replied scrunching his nose, allowing a loud snort to fall out. athena giggled along, recalling all the stories the ginger had told her, passionately acting out every word.

once the laughter died down comfortably and their heads fell back down to their books, edmund spoke up again. "O.W.L.s are going to be the death of me this year." his eyes danced around to each person, not being able to handle such silence.

"i hope i get to take divination at N.E.W.T level next year." closing her book shut with a swift motion, belle offered a small smile to edmund. she was aware that once he started speaking, he wouldn't stop.

athena and cedric looked up from the table to softly grin at her, nodding in agreement. "hopefully, we'll have it together." athena added. cedric added a small 'me too' before shutting his book.

"i wann' be an auror," edmund's chestnut eyes studied the room around him. "that's if i can get an E in five different subjects," he whispered the next words to himself, refusing to meet the group's eyes.

"you've got charms, potions, and herbology confirmed," with her lips turned up, athena hummed out, placing her elbow against the cold wood. she allowed her eyes to skip around the room as well.

she noticed a first-year slytherin sitting quietly alone, two ravenclaws laughing, and a hufflepuff writing with their quill in a frustrated manner. the chatter in the room overshadowed any conversation by them.

"and care of magical creatures." ivy hadn't bothered to look up from her cover. "you're also the only one that has ever paid attention in history of magic." her voice monotone as ever, still managed a blush swept across edmund's cheeks.

"i'm alright to go then, hm?" edmund beamed, grinning ear to ear, practically bouncing in his seat. ivy rolled her eyes, fighting the smirk growing, as cedric chuckled.