chapter thirty-three

it was the day of the last task

it was the day of the last task. the day everyone had been awaiting, some appeared enthusiastic, some afraid. some seemed so afraid that their significant others and friends had spent the night on the floor of their dorm.

athena woke up from the heavy covers of cedric's bed, immediately knowing she would remember this day forever. the sight of cedric's soft face being lit up from the sun drowning in the room, taking note of every mole along his skin.

the sight of belle's limbs strung around her, facing every direction possible. she knew she wouldn't forget the bedhead she wore, light blonde hair sticking tightly to her pillow. edmund was in the middle of her and ivy, one arm quietly touching each girl, he was protecting them even while sleeping.

edmund wore a long line of drool, streaming down his chin as slight mutters left his mouth. ivy lay facing his direction, arms, and legs folded up, looking as proper as she always did. one day, athena knew she would lay in bed once again, wishing for these moments to return soon.

"you alright, love?" cedric mumbled deeply, placing his hand on her lower back, his eyes barely beginning to open. athena glanced at the sleepy boy, laying back down in his warmth, giving him a soft nod into his chest.

as cedric gained consciousness, he let out a large, unwilling, sigh. he knew what was ahead of him and the day he was going to face. on top of all that, the group had decided not to tell athena what draco had said. she had seemed to forget about all of it, and they decided to protect her from that extra anxiety. if cedric could take that away from her, he would.

they figured it was best for none of them to have answers to it all, after pondering for days and hours about it, athena wouldn't know either. they all loved to protect her innocent, soft mind, as much as they possibly could. she brought the best out of all of them.

with a tight knot in his stomach and a lump in his throat, he leaned up, adjusted athena, and glanced down at the three friends on his floor. a small smile made the pain go away for a moment, he thought of how he started the year and how he was ending it.

cedric remembered the first time he spoke to athena this year, thinking of how beautiful she was and how her voice sounded so sweet. now, she lies in his bed with her closest friends, who are now his closest friends. he was incredibly grateful to be surrounded by the best people hogwarts had to offer.

"are you hungry?" athena whispered, leaning up next to him. cedric thought of how her face got more beautiful each day he looked at it, and he couldn't help but stare at her for a moment before nodding his head. they attempted to sneak out of bed, but a rough shutter stopped them in their track.

"are we eating now?" edmund muttered, turning his body around to wake himself up, wiping the drool off his chin. athena chuckled as he accidentally woke up the two girls laying beside him, earning a soft push from ivy.