chapter five

athena rosewood was a few minutes earlier for potions class, nothing unusual. she luckily attended the class with her two best friends, ivy and belle. belle would always help ivy study for her potions test when they came up. athena would also help, but let belle be her ravenclaw self and take the lead in study groups.

they all meet up at the door and walked in together, sitting at their unassigned, assigned seats. ivy had begun to talk about how some dumb wit from gryffindor lost their house fifty points.  she couldn't recall who did it, though.

"i except no distractions this class period, no silly wand waving." severus snape, the potions master, had quickly walked into his classroom and allowed the door behind him to slam. a few students jumped but this kind of behavior was expected from the professor. he did not enjoy any sort of games or tomfoolery in his classroom.

belle instantly shut the book she had opened across the table and shot a terrified look to the other two girls. they didn't even dare to react, in fear of their professor seeing. athena looked around the classroom for a moment, trying to find familiar faces. just to see if they showed up.

the golden gryffindor trio attended the same class as them. the curly headed brunette, hermione granger, was usually the first to answer any sort of questions. the infamous ginger, ron weasley, was usually the first to be called out on day dreaming. and the chosen one, harry potter, was easily the target of severus snapes witty responses.

luna lovegood sat behind the group with another blonde ravenclaw girl. athena admired luna lovegood, she admired her intelligence and her kind heart. she definitely said things that confused athena, but she still always held the conversation.

athena shot a small smile to the group and looked back up to the front of the classroom. the potions master had begun to bring different things out with a few small grunts. the classroom was completely quiet out of pure respect.

"i assume you are all familiar with amortentia." the brightly lit candles illuminated his face as he spoke, which make his facial expressions rougher than they actually were. "who we can recall the effects of this potion?"

hermiones hand instantly flew into the air, belles shortly came after it. a few other people raised their hands with hesitation, including athenas. not that she didn't know the answer but she was quite scared of the professor. snape nodded his head to belle.

"amortentia is the most powerful love potion to exist. it causes a powerful infatuation or obsession within the drinker. if you were to smell the potion, you would smell the things that you find most attractive. typically, you would notice the smells of the person you are in love with, if you have one." belle speaks confidently and loudly. managing to not stutter once, belle and snape share a small nod.

"and the effects are?" he adds on, looking around the classroom for another speaker. he nods to hermiones waving hand with an annoyed expression.

"almost instantaneous. but, if you use the potion on someone, you must continue giving it to them because eventually, their own free will returns." she smiled with confidence as she spoke. hermione granger was usually always correct.

"and love potions are banned from students to use within hogwarts, correct?" everyone nods their head. knowing this hurt athenas heart a little bit. not because she would ever use a love potion on someone, that would be an absolutely horrible for the other person. but she was in love with the idea of love.

"i assume everyone knows the ingredients and if you do not, ask someone around you. don't let me hear you as you ask." with a few swift motions, everyone starts to grab the ingredients needed for their table.

ashwinder eggs, rose thorns, peppermint, powdered moonstone, pearl dust, and rose petals gathered around the three girls station. they all whisper small things to each other as they prepare their potion.

"i wonder what little bell will smell." ivy smirks as she whispers to the girls. athena lets out a small giggle as she tosses rose petals in. belle had no serious love interest quite ever, that the group knew about. "she probably won't smell anything."

"what did you smell the first time you did it?" athena asks to belle, who is shaking her head.

"i don't remember much, maybe strawberries and lavender?" they all shared a glance together before shrugging. that couldn't think of anyone who smelt of such. within a few more minutes of everyone preparing their potion, the class begins to have loud chatter on each others smells.

"ivy, i think you should go first. i'm quite interested in what draco malfoy smells like." belle says wittily, carefully handing the potion to the black haired girl. ivy quickly whipped her head to look at belle with her eyebrows furrowed.

"lower that pathetic voice of yours, belle." ivy hisses to her, making the other two girls smile. they both knew that ivy never meant her harsh words to them. but to everyone else? she meant it.

they watch as ivy breaks the potion up to her nose. she glanced at the potion, admiring it's pearl like soft luster appearance and the spiraling steam that rose from it. with her eyes closed, she took a large whiff.

"peppermint, green apples, and cologne." her deep blue eyes open once again before a large smile appears on her face. the smile reminded her of the one that cedric had around her, but quickly brushed away that thought. ivy quickly handed the potion to belle.

"strawberries, lavender, and tea?" belle placed the potion into athenas hands next.

"who do you believe that could be?" ivy's eyes scanned the room and looked for any sort of answers in the shadows of the classroom. athena had noticed that belle's cheek had start to change shades. athena knew belle knew who it was, but didn't want to press it.

"i have no bloody idea." belle sinks down into her chair for a bit. "athena, i would like to know what your heart desires." she had attempted to change the subject. athena smiled softly to her before bringing it up to her nose.

for a few seconds, athena couldn't quite place a specific smell. her heart began to race as she realized that she attempting to smell what her heart wanted most. she wasn't completely sure on what scent would be coming to surface, but for a moment, she thought she knew exactly what it was going to be.

"warm vanilla, pine trees," athena brought it closer. "and quidditch robes?" she placed the potion back on the work station and glanced to her two friends, who wore affectionate smiles. athena didn't even want to speak about it.

anyone a mile away would spot the pink painted across athena's cheeks. without speaking a word, the girls all knew exactly who had the smell athena had just spoken of.  she knew she had an attraction to the oblivious boy, but she didn't think it would be as strong as it actually was.

"what did you all smell?" a light voice had suddenly spoken, causing the girls to jump. they all turned their head to lock eyes with the blonde ravenclaw, luna lovegood. she wore a bright smile on her face as she clutched a book in her fragile hands. nothing unusual for her.

athena, belle, and ivy were all thankful for lunas interruption. they all did not want to speak of the smells that had they acquired.