19. I Missed You

Loud laughs emit from the table I'm sitting at

Loud laughs emit from the table I'm sitting at. All my friends are around me smiling and having the best time. The party incident that happened seems to have disappeared from everyone's mind.

Mateo has his arm around my shoulder while talking to Adam who's next to him. Alison and Alejandro are whispering things into each other's ear while laughing. I look around the table and I'm happier than ever for meeting these people and having the great opportunity to keep them.

For some reason, the room starts to get dim. Everyone gets quiet quickly and looks around trying to see what's going on.

I turn around trying to see if something is causing this but when I turn back around the table is empty. The only other person who's still here is Mateo. I look up at him and once I see his face it makes me want to look away.

He stares at me with a disgusted look. He takes off his arm from around me and stands up from the table. The room is dark and the only light that seems to be working is the one illuminating Mateo's face. I stay sitting down not knowing what to do.

Mateo starts to back away and the further he gets the more I'm not able to see his face. His last words before disappearing terrify me.

"Goodbye Veronica."

I shoot up from my bed and look around trying to figure out where I am. Once I realize I'm in my room, I let myself take a deep breath. Running my hands through my hair I feel the sweat that was building up while I was sleeping.

It was just a dream.

But it felt so real.

Picking up my phone from the nightstand, I check the time and see that it's barely 4:00 in the morning. Throwing the phone next to me on the bed, I let myself fall back against the bed.

I haven't talked to anyone. Besides Alison, but it's just telling her I'm fine and that's about it. Mateo sends me messages asking me if I'm okay but I don't reply. I feel even worse about the whole situation. I'm sure Alison lets him know I'm okay.

The day after the party I just stayed in my room all day. I only went downstairs to eat but I would head straight back up into my room right when I was done. Christopher hasn't come home either, which I find absolutely fantastic. Seeing him would just make me want to hit him, yell at him, tell him everything he's done wrong.

Closing my eyes trying to sleep, it's no use when I'm kept awake with all the thoughts swimming in my head. Sometimes I wish my thoughts had a switch. I can turn them off and on when I want to. Sadly, that's not how it works.

I stay up for two more hours. Tossing and turning, not even reaching for my phone. By the time the sun starts to shine through the windows, my eyes start feeling heavy. Not giving a care about being late for school, I let my eyes close and let sleep overcome my thoughts.