27. Jealousy

The start of a new week is upon us again

The start of a new week is upon us again. But it's fine since it is the last week before Christmas break. I'm very excited to give everyone their presents. Also, the fact that I get to spend the break with Mateo and the rest of the group.

Pulling into the school parking lot, I see that Mateo's truck isn't there. That's strange? He texted me saying "Good Morning," but when I replied he didn't answer back. I don't like double texting but I just get worried. Especially with what happened on Saturday, he hasn't really talked to me about it. I'm not going to push him until he's ready but I'm just worried.

I get out of my car and lock it. I guess I'll just wait for him inside.

Once I'm inside school, I make my way to my locker. Maybe Mateo just parked somewhere else and he's waiting for me inside. I let out a sigh and opened my locker. I grab the notebooks I need and put them in my backpack. I slow down every movement I make hoping Mateo will show up and tell me what happened.

"Oh you're the girl from the bowling alley right?" I look up from my locker and see the guy from the bowling alley. Strange. I've never seen him here at school. I look around the hallway and see everyone either talking to their friends or walking to class.

I turn back around and close my locker. "Uhhh yeah that's me," I say and look up at the guy. He has light brown and hazel eyes. He's tall but not as tall as Mateo or Alejandro. Maybe Adam's height.

He sticks out his hand and I look down at it. "I'm Reuben," he says with a smirk. Hmm he seems cocky and I don't like that.

Reluctantly, I take his hand and shake it quickly. "Veronica," I say and let go of his hand. "So do you think you can show me around. I just transferred."

I open my mouth to reply but someone beats me to it. "I'm sure someone else can help you. We have to get to class." Mateo's deep voice can be heard behind me and I lean against his chest. I thank God he got here because knowing me I would've said yes even though I don't want to.

"Ahh the boyfriend is here. Would you look at that." Reuben grins and leans against the lockers. Behind me, Mateo releases a loud breath.

Oh boy.

"Yeah that's me. Well we are going to leave now so I hope you find your way around." After Mateo finishes he grabs my hand and walks us to class. He seems bothered and jealous. I've never seen him jealous. He looks hot.

But that's besides the point. Before we walk into the classroom, I stop and pull his arm. He turns around and gives me a confused look.

"Why didn't you text back?" I ask him while still holding his hand. He looks down at his shoes and closes his eyes.

"Sorry I just...I just forgot I'm sorry." Mateo looks back up at me. His eyes scan my face as if he's trying to see if I'm mad. Of course I'm not mad at him. I was just worried but now that he stands in front of me, my worries float away.