43. Permission

"Since senior skip day is this Friday

"Since senior skip day is this Friday. I have a plan," Adam turns around as Mateo and I complete our AP Biology assignment. Graduation is coming closer and all of us have been hanging out at least every weekend. I mean we still have a few weeks after graduation, but after that Alison, Alejandro, and Adam are going to California.

"What's your plan this time Adam," Mateo's deep voice chuckles and butterflies fill my stomach. "You've been changing it for the past week." I nudge him lightly and smile at Adam.

"Go ahead Adam," he nods.

"Thank you Veronica," he glares at the boy next to me and Mateo huffs. "So my Mom told me that we should all go to our family cabin, and since it's spring break next week, we could leave Friday and come back Monday or Tuesday. Or if we wanna stay longer we can. What do you guys think?" Mateo and I look at each other and stare. We continue looking at each other as if we're communicating with our eyes. I think it's a good idea, it sounds fun.

We both look back at Adam and nod our heads. "That sounds fun. I would just have to ask my parents, but other than that I like the idea." Adam smiles and turns to look at Mateo.

"What about you?" He asks.

"It seems good. It's the cabin that's like two hours away right?" Mateo says.

"Yeah but tell me why my Mom said we should leave at six in the morning." Honestly, I don't think that's bad. But if we don't leave early either I see no difference. When I was younger, Mom and Dad would wake Christopher and I early just to go out of town. We would get to the hotel early and rest for a bit before doing whatever activities were planned.

"Adam, stop talking and complete the assignment." Mr. Willows says and Adam turns around quickly.

"He always gets told something," I chuckle and Mateo smiles.

"That's Adam." He says.

For the rest of the class period, Mateo and I keep talking about random stuff as we finish our assignment. The only reason I like this class is because Mateo is here, I probably would've been asleep if he wasn't.

The bell rings right when I finish my assignment, I do not want any homework this week. I stack our papers at the center of the table and stand up. Mateo is already ready and is just waiting for me. I slip my backpack strap onto my shoulder and smile up at Mateo. He grabs my hand and we make our way out of the classroom.

"So are you excited for graduation?" He asks as we walk to the cafeteria.

"Honestly, yeah I am. I don't wanna say I'm not scared anymore because I still am just a little." He nods his head and squeezes my hand. I wasn't lying, I still am scared. What I'm worried about is what's gonna happen after. What is it gonna be like? Okay obviously I know that once I get off the stage I'm not gonna be a whole different person. I'm not that dramatic. But sooner or later it is gonna feel different and I don't know what to expect.