24. Thanksgiving With The Hernandez's

Well

Well. Today is the day. The day I meet Mateo's family. In all seriousness, I'm not nervous at all...okay maybe just a little bit but I don't want to think about it. Mateo has been excited these past few days. Every time we hang out he tells me how his parents are excited to meet me or how Mariana is preparing her toys for me.

Honestly, I can't wait either. It's great that he wanted me to meet them. Besides these thoughts swimming in my head. I can't help thinking about how I love him.

I wanted to tell him that night he met my parents. I don't know what it was but...it was like I saw him in a different perspective. Just the way he talked to Mom and Dad, the way he brought Mom flowers, even the fact that he showed up shows me that he cares. I just wanted to tell him over, and over, and over again.

The way he makes me feel, as if I'm his everything. When his hand is holding mine it feels as if he's planning on never letting go. When his eyes meet mine, it's like I'm swimming in pure ecstasy. When we kiss it's not just meaningless, it's a kiss that shows me that he has love for me.

He shows me love through many ways, and I'm glad he's the one showing me.

I'm broken out of my thoughts by the sound of a car pulling into the driveway. Well Mom and Dad went to visit family for Thanksgiving so they won't be back till tomorrow. They said it was fine for me to stay, since I'm having dinner with Mateo's family.

There's only one person it can be. Christopher. I hear the keys being put into the lock and I'm frozen on the couch. We haven't talked since the party. I was waiting for him to apologize but he hasn't come home ever since. I'm guessing he comes when I'm at school or when I spend the night at Alison's.

He walks in and closes the door behind him, he still hasn't noticed I'm in the living room. It looks like he hasn't slept in days. His hair is messy, the bags under his eyes are a dark shade of purple. I just want to go up to him and hug him, I miss him. The person he used to be is still somewhere in there, I just have to find the courage and bring him back out.

I stand up from the couch and that's when he turns his head towards me. We stare at each other for a couple seconds and I look away.

"I didn't know you were here," Christopher muttered. His voice sounds raspy, like he hasn't drank water today. "Yeah, I gotta go somewhere." I say looking down at my feet.

"Look Veronica," he says and I look up. He runs a hand through his hair and releases a loud breath. "I'm sorry for what happened at the party. I was drunk and upset. I got even more upset when I saw you having fun and hanging out with your boyfriend."

I walk up to him and stand in front of him. "It's fine, I'm sure you didn't mean any harm." I reply hoping he's not beating himself up about this. Yeah, it was messed up but we passed it already.

It's silent between us, I just want to figure out why he distanced himself. The only way I can find out is by asking.

"Christopher," I say softly hoping he won't get mad. "What happened? Why don't we talk anymore?"