Chapter Twenty

I was literally frozen in my spot as Brandon cursed under his breath. He rolled down the window and someone stood outside- by the looks of it, I assumed it was his brother.

"Hey, little brother. What's going on here?"  A smirk found its way to his lips.

"What do you want, Ken?"

"A ride for my friends." He slightly slurred.

Instantly I felt Brandon stiffen under me. I had put together that drinking and driving was a pet peev for him; it angered him.

"Give me a minute." He sighed and his brother staggered away.

"What was that about?" I cautiously asked.

"Nothing."

"No, it's not nothing. You've been touchy about this since the last party. Talk to me." I searched his eyes.

"You wouldn't understand." He spat.

"Are you serious? Of all persons, I wouldn't understand?" That hurt. It really did. After everything we've shared, he thought I wouldn't understand his problems.

"Not now, Kate."

"Then when, Brandon?" I said his name in the same annoyed tone he used mine.

He shook his head and started to lift me off him. I took that as an insult and removed myself quickly. I opened the passenger door and jumped out- only to come face to face with Derek.

He stared at my post sex features and then looked at Brandon in his truck.

"What's going on?"

"Uh- Derek it's-" I tried to explain but I was lost for words. Confusion was evident in his features.

"Who needs a ride?" Brandon broke through the silence.

"Uh, just me and two girls." Derek answered.

Even though we had nothing going on anymore, my brows still rose at his mention of the two girls.

"Then stay in my room for the night. I'll crash somewhere else."

"Really? Thanks man." Derek grinned then he turned to me and gave me a tight hug. I could smell the liquor on him as he whispered in my ear. "Do you wanna stay with me tonight?"

To say I was shocked was an understatement. I was insulted actually. "No, thanks. Brandon will give me a ride home." I put distance between us and he shrugged and swayed back into the house.

I hopped back in his truck and didn't say a word to him as he drove me back to my house.

He pulled up in front and turned off the engine. We stayed silent for a few minutes before I decided to say something.

"Thanks for the ri-"

"I think we should stop."

His words cut mine short and left me looking at him wide wide eyes.

"What?"

"Whatever this is, we can't continue. I can't do it, Kate." He ran his hand through his hair.

"No, you're scared." I stated firmly. "You're scared because I'm finally getting under your skin and you can't handle that! You can't handle my feelings or my questions. You're running because I'm getting closer to you."

He sighed. "I just can't, Kate. I promised myself."

"Promised what? To never get hurt?" his silence urged me to go on. "Newsflash, Brandon! I'm not here to hurt you! I've told you this too many times already."