Chapter Eight

Picture of Jill ---------->>>>

The next day went by pretty quickly. The seniors weren't punished too badly for that little senior skip day stunt; all we got was a long lecture and detention, which no one planned to go to. We were graduating in two weeks! No one had the time for petty threats like detention.

What they really have time for is what they were wearing and who they were taking to prom. I promised my friends I would go so now I had to find a dress. That should be easy...

"Hey, Pat. Ready for the mall?" I asked when the day was over.

"Oh my gosh, I totally forgot! I already made an appointment at the spa." She said apologetically.

"Oh, okay it's no problem. We can go another day."

"I'm really sorry, Kate." She hugged me.

"It's not that serious." I reassured her.

"Okay, I'll call you later." She said then went in the direction of her car.

Now what do I do...

I couldn't call my brother, Jill left early and Phoebe... well Phoebe was busy I guess.

I decided to walk home. After all, It was only a ten minute walk.

After five minutes of walking I saw a pick up truck pull up beside me. I knew that truck, that truck pulled up to my house every evening to drop off my brother. That truck belonged to Brandon.

I stopped walking and looked at him with a straight face. I was still angry about his outburst; just when I thought we could be civilized, he goes bat shit on me.

"Get in."

"No. I'm still mad at you."

He let out a loud sigh. "Can we not do this? I had a long day. Please, get in."

I thought about it for a while then finally agreed. Once we were driving, I stayed quiet. There was no way I was gonna strike up a conversation with this ass.

We both stayed quiet until he pulled up at my house. "About yesterday-"

"You don't have to say it." I cut him off. "Thanks for the ride." I opened the door and he stretched over and shut it.

"Can you just listen for once?"

I nodded.

"I'm sorry for what I said. I didn't like the way those words affected my ego."

"I never took you for the insecure type."

"I'm not. I mean, look at me." He grinned. "It felt different when you said those words to me."

"I still see a douche." I teased, ignoring his last bit.

"You're different, you know that? I can't joke around with most girls."

"I'm not most girls." What was I saying? That was the most cliche line I've ever uttered. How embarrassing!

He chuckled. "No, you're not."

"Did I hear that correctly? Was Brandon giving me a compliment?" I laughed.

"Easy now. They don't come often."

I playfully punched his shoulder.

"Come to prom with me."

His words instantly wiped the smile from my face. "W-what?"

"Prom. You and me." At first I thought he was joking but his face was as serious as a judge.

"I-I don't know. You know I'm with Derek right?"