t e n

"Y/n, do you think you're up to go into the field?"

I looked up to Natasha from my place on the couch.

"Wait, for real?" I asked.

Nat nodded.

"There's a Hydra attack happening right now," she said.

I jumped up.

"I – I don't have a suit," I said.

"I made one for you," Tony said as he walked by. "It's in your room."

"Okay everyone!" Steve called out. "Ten minutes 'til we go. Suit up!"

I rushed to my room and saw the suit on my bed. I shimmied into in and checked myself out in the mirror.

The suit covered every inch of my body, besides my head. The only skin that was visible was my face. I rushed out of my room and bumped into Bucky.

"Sorry," he muttered.

"No worries," I said, rushing off down the hall.

Once I reached the hangar, I realised that the moment I just shared with Bucky was the first moment that wasn't hostile in anyway. I supposed after talking to Tony, my hatred for Bucky had melted away a little bit.

"Ready?" Wanda asked me.

I turned to face her and nodded. We'd been working on my telekinetic powers for the past week and a half, and I could fully control them. I didn't even have to rely on anger anymore.

"Alright, everyone on the jet," Steve said.

I got on the jet and strapped myself in next to Wanda. Steve came over to me.

"Basically, y/n, just eliminate the enemy. You don't have to kill them if you don't want to – but sometimes exceptions have to be made," Steve said, a grim expression on his face.

I nodded. This was Hydra. I didn't mind if a few of them died.

"You guys know the drill," Steve said as we started to land. "Look out for each other."

Soon enough, we landed in the middle of a highway bridge. There were no cars, but I could see hundreds of agents walking towards us. We all exited the jet and got our weapons ready.

The first few agents reached us. One ran directly at me. I kicked him dead in the chest. He fell back but got back up.

"Hey, Capsicle? Some of these are super soldiers," Tony said through the comms.

"Shit," Steve muttered.

"Language!" several people called out.

"Am I missing a joke?" I asked as the agent came back at me.

"Yes," Nat said. "We'll explain after."

The agent aimed a punch at my face. I dodged and swept his feet out from under him. I broke into his mind and cut off his consciousness. I attacked the next soldier, and the next, and the next.

Eventually I was fighting back to back with Bucky. I was shooting at the enemy, as well as catching their bullets with my power and sending them right back.

"Look out!" Natasha called through the comms.

I didn't have any time to react because a metal arm wrapped around my waist and I was pulled to the floor. A loud boom sounded and I covers my ears with my hands. I looked back to where I was standing a few seconds ago to see a crater in the ground. I looked back to Bucky.

"You okay?" he asked, giving me a hand up.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," I said.

I jumped back into the fight. Did Bucky just save me? Sure, I was his teammate, but he could have just left me to die instead.

I kicked a Hydra agent in the face. He went flying back and hit a car. He slumped to the floor and did not rise.

My gaze turned to focus on Bucky. He was fighting two agents at once, and a third and fourth were sneaking up on him. I used my telekinesis to throw three of the agents off the bridge while Bucky took care of the last one.

Eventually, we won the battle with minimal injuries.

"Shawarma time," Clint said.

I raised my eyebrow while everyone else agreed.

"Shawarma is this type of food we usually get after battle," Bucky offered.

I just nodded.

"Since when were they talking?" Sam asked.

Clint smacked him over the head, and I looked away.

"So... shawarma?" Wanda asked.

"I have spotted the closest joint!" Sam called, pointing off towards the city.

I could faintly make out the word on a building.

"Why art thou speaking so formally?" Tony asked.

"Dost thou have to speaketh Shakespearean?" Clint called out.

Everyone laughed and I smiled a bit.

We made our way to the shawarma shop. I allowed Wanda and Nat to order for me, and I was glad. They chose well. The food was the best thing that I had ever tasted. Bucky sat down next to me and I was too tired to protest. And too conflicted.

Had I been too hard on him? He was trying to make amends, I knew that. Maybe I could extend the olive branch that I had burned a while ago.

"Thank you for saving me today," I said quietly.

Bucky looked at me. He looked conflicted, like he didn't trust that this was real.

"No problem. Thanks for throwing the agents off the bridge for me," he replied.

"It's okay," I said.

I went back to devouring my food. After about half an hour, we found the strength to stand up and walk back to the jet. I strapped myself in near the front with Wanda and Nat.

We arrived back at the tower and everyone rushed in to have a shower. It was awesome knowing that everyone could have a nice, hot shower at the same time without the hot water running out.

I stood in the shower, watching as the dirt, dust, and blood rinsed from my body. I scrubbed everywhere, but I still felt like I could feel the blood on me.

I never wanted to be a killer. When I was sixteen, I knew that my parents worked for a somewhat secret organisation. I knew that for their job, they sometimes had to kill. I knew that my parents were good people, but I didn't want to join their organisation when I grew up.

After Hydra, after everything that they had done to me, I didn't really care anymore. That sixteen year old girl who wanted to help people, who never wanted to hurt anyone, was dead. Hydra had done too much to me, had tortured and killed that innocent girl. It made me sad, thinking about it, so I tried to think about something else instead.

I turned off the water and dried myself. I walked into my closet and grabbed some pyjamas. I put them on and slipped into my bed. I was now partially used to the comfort of an actual bed.

I tried to rest, but nightmares of my past chased me throughout my sleep.