t w e n t y - n i n e

I woke up to the sound of birds singing. I got up and stretched, my stomach already growling.

First thing: breakfast.

I put on a dressing gown over my pyjamas and a pair of gloves and opened my door when I encountered a problem. I had no idea where to go.

I walked to the room across from mine and knocked. There was no answer.

"Bucky?" I called.

There was still no answer. I looked to the tablet next to his door and slowly placed my hand on it. There was a positive ding and the door unlocked. I turned the handle and pushed it open.

"Bucky?" I called out into the room. "I... uh... where's the kitchen?"

There was still no answer, so I walked into the room. I was hungry, for crying out loud. When I looked around the room, I realised that he wasn't there. I began to back out of the room when something caught my eye. It was a picture frame, with a photo of myself and Bucky in it.

I walked over to it and picked it up. In the picture, Bucky had his arm slung over my shoulders. I had an arm wrapped around his waist and I was smiling up at him. He looked down at me lovingly. I brushed my fingers over the photo.

"Oh, y/n."

I jumped and turned around, clutching the photo to my chest. Bucky leaned against the doorway with his shirt slung over his shoulder. My eyes dipped downwards over his bare chest and chiselled stomach muscles for a second before I quickly brought them back up to his face.

"I... uh... I was... looking for the kitchen," I said.

"In my room?" Bucky asked, a smirk growing on his face.

"No," I said. "I was looking for you so that you could show me where it was."

Bucky chuckled and walked closer to me. He held out his hand and I looked at it for a moment before I realised he wanted his picture back. I held it out to him, and he took it gently and looked at it. A small smile adorned his face.

"When – when was that?" I asked.

"A few weeks ago," he said softly, still looking at the picture.

I studied his face, the way it softened more than it usually did while he was looking at the photo.

"Did you – do you..." I trailed off, not quite sure how to ask it.

"Do I what?" he asked softly.

"Do you love me?"

The words hung in the air for a moment before I felt my face heat up. I didn't even know how long we'd been together. I'd just assumed by the way he looked at me.

"I – I'm sorry," I said. "I didn't mean to – to overstep –"

"No, no, it's alright," Bucky said. He exhaled slowly. "I do love you, but I, uh, I haven't told you yet."

He chuckled nervously and shook his head.

"I probably shouldn't have said that," he muttered.

I didn't know what to say. I couldn't reassure him that I did love him – I didn't know. I was sure that I would have loved him one day.

"Breakfast," Bucky said suddenly, changing the subject. "I'll have a quick shower and then we can eat something."

"Thank you," I said.

Bucky smiled at me, and I smiled back. I left the room and walked to my room to have a shower as well. I quickly scrubbed myself down before turning the water off and drying myself off. I walked into my closet and grabbed a pair of leggings and a grey t-shirt.

There was a knock at my door, and I opened it to see Bucky. I smiled shyly at him, and he grinned back.

"Breakfast?" he asked.

"Breakfast," I agreed, nodding.

Bucky chuckled and led me from the room. We walked down a few hallways until we made it to the kitchen. Natasha and Steve sat at a table, eating eggs and bacon.

"Made you some," Natasha said by way of greeting, pointing towards the kitchen with her fork.

"Thank you," I said.

Bucky echoed my statement, and we grabbed a plate each piled with eggs and bacon from the counter. We walked back to the dining table and began eating. It was quiet, and I felt awkward.

"Do you remember anything new?" Natasha asked.

I shook my head and continued eating my breakfast.

"Does she have a favourite book?" Steve asked Bucky. "Maybe if she reads it, she'll remember?"

Bucky thought for a moment.

"She likes f/b," Bucky mused. "But we don't have that here." He was silent for a moment before his face lit up.

"Wait here," he told me before rushing off.

I glanced to Natasha and Steve. They were looking at each other, slightly confused. A few minutes later, Bucky came back clutching a book to his chest. He handed it over to me and I looked at the title.

The Hobbit.

"I recommended that book for you," Bucky said. "Well, technically I told Sam to recommend it to you, seeing as you wouldn't stay in the same room with me longer than it took to throw a glare my way."

I quirked an eyebrow at him but took the book. I was curious about why I wouldn't stay in the same room as him. Had we been in an argument?

"Why was I mad at you?" I asked.

Bucky was silent for a long time. Natasha and Steve looked between each other, me, and Bucky.

"I... uh... I was – I was forced to... to kill your parents," Bucky got out.

I didn't say anything as shock washed over me. He was forced to kill my parents? Bucky looked away from me in shame and I didn't say anything.

"I'm, uh, I'm going to go and, uh, work out," Bucky said.

Bucky got up and left the room, leaving me alone with Steve and Natasha.

"He was under mind control," Natasha said gently. "You wouldn't accept that."

I thought about it for a moment.

"If I hated him, why did... why did I... date... him?" I asked.

Natasha looked to Steve for a moment.

"Well, you kind of... forgave him," Steve said. "You spoke to Tony about it. Bucky was forced to kill his parents, too. After that... you just had a – a change of heart, I guess."

"He didn't do it willingly," Natasha added. "And he tried his hardest every day to make amends. Still does."

I nodded slowly. It made sense, I supposed, why I forgave him. I also supposed that I must have been really hurt for a while, but then I must have been able to get over it.

Bucky must have felt horrible. Did he think that I was going to hate him again? I needed to talk to him, to let him know that I wasn't mad. If I forgave him for it once, I could forgive him for it again.

"Where... where's the gym?" I asked.

"I'll take you," Natasha said.

She stood up and motioned for me to follow her. I did as she requested and nervously tugged at my gloves.

Another weird thing about this whole situation – I had powers. And I couldn't control them because I didn't know how.

Because I forgot.

Natasha and I eventually arrived at the gym. I looked through the window and saw Bucky punching a punching bag.

"He's all yours," Natasha said, clapping me on the back.

She then left, and I opened up the gym doors.