t w e n t y - e i g h t

Twenty-four hours later, I was on a jet to the Avengers' compound. I woke up nine hours ago. Bucky gently explained everything to me, and I felt bad that I didn't remember anyone.

I had been reintroduced to everyone, and I was now with Bucky, Steve, and Natasha. Shuri had said that there wasn't much to do that could bring my memories back. Apparently, some unknown force was withholding them from me. Shuri was inventing some machine that was going to help with that.

In the meantime, I was going to spend a couple of weeks with Steve, Natasha, and Bucky. Apparently, I was the closest to them and they might be able to somehow restore my memories by hanging out with me.

Well, that was the general theory of it.

The first half of the quinjet ride was quiet. I had no idea what to say or do. Apparently, I knew these people. They did seem familiar, but in the way as if I had seen them once while walking down the street. It didn't feel like I knew them.

"How did we meet?" I asked after a while of silence.

Natasha was flying the jet while Steve and Bucky sat across from me.

"Well, Nat and I rescued you from Hydra about half a year ago," Steve said.

"Shut up, Steve." Natasha called from the front. "You were the one who saved her. I was just there."

Steve shook his head but smiled. I guessed that the two had something.

"After we rescued you," Steve continued, "Natasha helped you settle into the tower – the place where we all live. You met the team shortly after."

I nodded, understanding but not remembering.

"Am I related to any of you?" I asked.

"No, but I think of you as my little sister," Steve said.

"Same here," Natasha called from the cockpit.

I looked to Bucky and he shifted in his seat uncomfortably.

"I... uh... we're, um, together," he said.

I cocked my head. I was pretty sure I'd remember if I had a boyfriend who looked as hot as that.

"Oh," I said.

Bucky looked away from me, and I felt bad. If we were together and I had just completely forgotten him...

It explained why I trusted him so much without even knowing him.

"Can you – can you tell me about me?" I asked hesitantly.

Bucky and Steve's faces softened.

"Of course," Bucky said. "What do you want to know?"

"Everything," I said, and then winced. "Sorry, that doesn't really help."

Bucky chuckled.

"Well, your favourite colour is f/c," Bucky said. "And you love [favourite/food]. You once threatened to stab everyone if they stole your leftovers."

He smiled slightly, as if remembering. I wish I could have remembered it.

"You're really caring and really stubborn. Your favourite song is called f/s," he said. "Hey Nat, can you play f/s?"

The redhead said yes and played a song. As soon as it started playing, I began swaying along and bopping my head to the beat.

"I really like this song," I said.

The three told me a few more things about myself while we flew to where we would be staying for a few weeks. Natasha landed the jet and we walked out.

The Avengers' Compound was massive. It looked very modern.

"So, this is where we'll be living for a few weeks," Steve said. "You have a room here, but it's not decorated because you've never stayed here before."

"I, uh... okay," I said awkwardly.

"Let's get going, then," Natasha said.

I followed her into the Avengers' Compound. The interior was just as spectacular as the outside.

"Alright, so we have two gyms, a pool, an indoor cinema, an outdoor cinema, multiple kitchens and living rooms, bedrooms, and pretty much anything else a billionaire could think of," Natasha said. "We all have clothes here. Even though you've never been here, we stocked this place up with some of your clothes and some in your size just in case we needed somewhere to stay."

I nodded, not wanting to think about much. Instead, I really just wanted to sleep. I think Bucky noticed, because he cleared his throat and began talking.

"I'll take y/n to her room. She must be really tired," Bucky said.

Steve and Natasha agreed and let me go. Bucky led me to my room. To get in, he placed his hand on some sort of tablet. It made a positive ding sound and there was a sound like something unlocking. Bucky opened the door and we went inside. It was pretty big. There was a king bed in the middle of the room with grey sheets. There was a bookshelf in the corner with a couple of books on it, and a tv opposite the bed. There were two doors opposite the bed.

"Those doors over there lead to the bathroom and a wardrobe," Bucky said. "I'm in the room across."

"Thank you," I murmured.

Bucky looked like he wanted to say something else, but he just nodded instead and closed the door. I looked to the bed and sighed.

I walked through one of the doors into a wardrobe. I checked a few of the drawers until I found some pyjamas. I got changed and slipped into my bed, falling asleep almost instantly.