t w e n t y - s i x

B U C K Y   B A R N E S

"To what do we owe the pleasure?" T'Challa asked.

We had just arrived in Wakanda. I carried y/n in my arms and T'Challa glanced to her.

"Hydra... made her a Winter Soldier," I said.

T'Challa nodded in understanding and motioned for me to follow him. He led me and the rest of the Avengers through the palace halls and down to Shuri's lab. Her lab was full of high-tech machines. It was all futuristic and pristine, minus the Starbucks cup on the counter. I wondered where she got it, or who got it for her.

"Is that the White Wolf?" Shuri called from her seat. "It is! It's my favourite broken white boy!"

"You can't call him that," T'Challa chuckled.

"I don't really mind," I said.

Shuri walked over to me and glanced at the rest of the Avengers. She pointed finger guns at Tony and then looked to y/n, who I held in my arms.

"My broken white boy got himself a girl?" Shuri asked excitedly.

A small smile crept its way to my lips. I couldn't help it – Shuri was like a sister to me.

"She is a Winter Soldier," T'Challa said. "They need your help to set her mind in order."

"Easy," Shuri said. "Bucky, follow me."

I followed Shuri through her lab and to a table with a strange looking machine next to it. To be honest, all of her machines looked strange because they were so futuristic.

"Lay her down on the table," Shuri said.

She pulled up a hologram as I lay y/n down carefully. She looked peaceful in her sleep, undisturbed.

"Hey, don't touch my stuff!" Shuri yelled.

I turned around to see Tony pulling his hand back from some sort of contraption.

"Okay, so I just need to..."

Shuri began talking and I didn't quite understand all of what she was saying, so I stopped listening. I looked at y/n instead. I silently prayed that this would work.

If it worked, I would tell her that I loved her as soon as she woke up.

It had been something I had been thinking about for a while. I knew that I loved her. It was different to anything I had ever felt about anyone else. Sure, I loved Steve, but this was different. I wanted to grow old with her. I wanted to have a family with her, if she wanted that.

I hoped I wasn't moving too quickly. I probably was. Damn it.

"Woah, this is not supposed to be happening," Shuri said.

"What?" I asked.

The sound of her voice being so concerned snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked to her hologram, understanding nothing.

"You see this?" Shuri asked, pointing to a blue, pink, and purple picture. "The pink is her mind. The blue is my – as you like to call it – 'science magic', and the purple is something that's fighting against it, but also bringing it further in."

"What does it mean?" I asked.

"There's something fighting me," Shuri said. "Not Hydra, or her being compliant or anything, but something else. It kind of looks like what would happen if I performed the procedure on Wanda."

My eyes widened.

"So, if I told you that she was a telepath –"

"Well shit," Shuri said. "That would be her power fighting back. I just need –"

Shuri didn't get to finish her sentence before everyone was blasted back by an invisible force. I landed on my back and flipped over to my feet. Devices from Shuri's lab were thrown everywhere.

"Shuri, what happened?" I asked.

"You think I know?" Shuri asked.

"Well, yes," I said.

I heard a gasp from y/n's table, and I looked up. She was sitting upright looking at all of us with confusion and fear in her eyes.

"Y/n?" I asked.

She looked to me fearfully.

"Where am I?" she asked.

"Wakanda," I said gently. "We took you here because Hydra had turned you into a Winter Soldier."

"What's a Winter Soldier?" she asked. "And who's Hydra? And where is Wakanda?"

I stared at her in shock.

"Who – who are you all?" she asked hesitantly.

Nobody replied and her eyes showed fear.

"Who – who am I?"